Re: Twenty 20 in Pakistan, Come On Guys Pick a Team and Support Our Domestic Cricket
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has taken serious notice of Pakistan allrounder Shoaib Malik who admitted Thursday night that he had deliberately not pushed for a win against Karachi Zebras in the Twenty20 Cup match while captaining the Sialkot Stallions at the Gaddafi Stadium Lahore.
"It’s a serious matter and definitely not a good advertisement for Pakistan cricket. I’ve spoken to the chairman about it and he has also taken serious notice of it. We’ll wait for the report from the match referee Rizwan Khatib and then decide if the matter should be refereed to the disciplinary committee of the Board," PCB Director Cricket Affairs Saleem Altaf told ‘The News’ after the match.
With Malik batting, Sialkot didn’t bother to chase an easy target of 20 runs in the last three overs and lost by four runs to Karachi Zebras —enabling them to qualify for the triangular segment of the tournament ahead of Lahore Eagles.
The Pakistan allrounder, when asked about why Sialkot had not chased the easy target, accepted he was unhappy with an incident that occurred during the Sialkot Stallions-Lahore Eagles match two days back when the match referee Anwar Khan awarded the game to Lahore in controversial circumstances while giving them 12 penalty runs for allegedly slow over-rate from the Sialkot team.
Malik didn’t deny the fact to commentator Rameez Raja that his team had not chased the target, as they wanted to pay back Lahore Eagles in the same coin.
But Altaf said even if there had been some injustice against Sialkot earlier in the tournament, there was a proper channel for Malik to bring the matter to the notice of the PCB. "There is no justification for what happened today. We've reports that some people even left the stadium in disgust; more importantly Malik is a Pakistan (team) player and seen as a future captain of the national side; how can one expect such behaviour from him? He is not sending the right message," Altaf said.
The PCB official said if the matter was referred to the Board's disciplinary committee then obviously the chief selector Wasim Bari would have to be informed about it and the Board would then have to see if Malik should be allowed to proceed to Abu Dhabi on Sunday to play the exhibition games with the Pakistan Masters side.
Asked if this incident could also affect Malik's tour of the West Indies, Altaf said it was premature to comment on this. "There is a set procedure to deal with any act of indiscipline and this would be followed by the Board," he added.
Match referee Rizwan Khatib after the match on Thursday night fined Malik Rs 5000 for his behaviour.
Malik, when contacted, refused to say much but insisted great injustice had been done to his team by the Lahore Eagles and this should've been noticed by the authorities.
According to the details, during the Sialkot-Lahore game (two days back) Malik's team scored 198 while batting first and were then had another 12 penalty runs added to their total because of Lahore falling two overs short of the over-rate.
When Lahore batted, sources said Malik kept on asking the umpires if his team's over-rate was all right.
"Even after the match ended with Lahore totalling 203 runs seven runs short of the Sialkot total, Malik asked the umpires and the scorer and they said Sialkot's over-rate was fine," a source said and added, "However the Lahore Eagles' manager then spoke to the match referee Anwar Khan and later announced that Sialkot had fallen two overs short of the over-rate, thus 12 penalty runs had been given to Lahore whose total increased to 215 and they won the match."