There are a lot of mothers like this in the UK.. I onced asked a guy why his mum didn’t want to learn English after living here thirty years and he said “she doesn’t want to, why should she?”
It’s very much a Pakistani and Bengali thing tho over here, UK Indians are a lot more forward-thinking in this respect.. My mum’s friend is an English teacher and she literally had to** beg** women (and sometimes their husbands to let them) to come to classes.. Also, even when I was at school 10yrs ago she would tell me that there a lot of girls leaving school at 15 to go and get married in Pakistan so basically they were ending up with no qualifications.. The politicians don’t want to talk about it cos they’re scared of offending the community, I really wish they would clamp down on this stuff.. As someone already mentioned the views on GS really aren’t representative of Pakistanis in general, ppl on here tend to be a lot more enlightened and liberal..