Re: Why are two woman witnesses, equivalent to only one male witness in Islam ?
I feel like this is all drifting. But do feel free to continue. I'm just going to keep posting isAllah.
So if anyone is still interested, back to understanding the nature of the 'Dhull'.
Two more reasons why I am skeptical that it really means 'forgetfulness':
a) the references to 'Dhull' in the Qur'an are often quite strong and are translated as 'those who are on the wrong path/have strayed to the wrong path' etc. This is serious. One may argue that one would stray to the wrong path out of 'forgetfulness'. But again, this is not necessarily always the case and forgetfulness and straying from the right path are two different things. So, the translation of 'tuDhill' as 'to err [out of forgetfulness]'... *seems *to be a bit...
b) the research conducted by psychologists on memory and forgetting highlight something called 'reconstructive memory'. In this case, it is shown (specifically by Bartlett (Richard D Gross, 'Psychology', p352, Hodder&Stoughton) that when someone forgets a scenario, particularly when they must recount that scenario for a serious purpose, it is not recommended for them to 'discuss' it with somebody else, least not one who has a version of events him/her self, as this will cause the forgetter to 'fill the gaps' and may reconstruct the event as something that it was not.
As I'm having difficulty visualising this scenario and how it would all work, I am going to ask my lecturers inshaAllah. They are better qualified to discuss this.