where have all the men gone?

I think you misunderstood what I said. My post was about not telling other people what you earnt - it wasn’t about not telling your husband. If other people don’t know what you and your husband earn then why would he feel less of a man if he earns less than you?

A husband can look after a family even if he is on a lesser wage than his wife. My fiance earns more than me at the moment but I know it wouldn’t bother him if it was the other way round. In fact he’d be very proud of me. I have the potential, in the next couple of years, to earn almost double what my fiance is earning at the moment, but I know that wouldn’t dent his ego and nobody else would know that I earn more anyway because it’s none of their business and why should anyone care what other people think?!