Re: Where are players from Karachi in national team?
Why do we have to get into regional politics with cricket selections? Do you really think PCB has regional preferences? I don tknow. I’m an outsider! Enlighten me please.
In India too theres usually talk about regional selections. It’s mostly bakvaas. India media loves any nonsense. 15 24/7 channels operating. They need news. Till 7-8 yrs ago a lot of Indian players were from Mumbai. Now there are a lot from Delhi (sehwag, gambhir, ishant, mishra, kohli) or north india (bhajji and yuvraj from punjab). It’s just by chance really. By change this influx of north indian players has instilled more aggression in the Indian team.
Why dont you name some Karachi players you think should be in the side? Or are you doubting Karachi’s capability to produce international level cricket players?
Re: Where are players from Karachi in national team?
I think it is a mere coincidence. Can you think of a Karachi player who should ‘definitely’ be in the team and is not? We have Fawad Alam in the squad but he is not outstandingly brilliant or better than others though he has shown some potential with the bat
Mind you current ODI and T20 captain Afridi is from Karachi, though he’s really from FATA
I am not sure. I don’t follow cricket as closely as I used to. I was only pointing to an obvious observation.
But I do know one Karachi player who did represent Pakistan once. HASAN RAZA.
He has more experience in domestic cricket than many of the present batsmen in the current team. And keeping in view how fragile Pakistan’s batting line-up is, I wonder why Hasan Raza’s experience is not being utilized.
I gathered this info from cricinfo:
HASAN RAZA:
first class matches: 177
average: 49.41.
Now compare this with current batsmen in Pakistan team.
IMRAN FARHAT:
first class matches: 131
average: 41.9.
UMAR AMIN:
first class matches: 32
average: 39.73.
SALMAN BUTT:
first class matches: 86
average: 42.38.
UMAR AKMAL:
first class matches: 38
average: 48.76.
AZHAR ALI:
first class matches: 52
average: 40.10.
Except for Imran Farhat, none of the other three come even close to the number of matches Hasan has played. One more point is that Hasan not only has played most matches than any of them, but he has also averaged better. Keeping one’s average after playing this many games itself shows how consistent he has been in his career.
No wonder Pakistan’s batting line-up is fragile. We don’t seem to pick the best talent available in the country.
I am not talking of ethnicities. I am talking of the city.
As far as I am concerned, Shahid Afridi is a Karachiite. He was raised in Karachi, and started his career in Karachi. His only connection with FATA is his family.
Same goes for Zaheer Abbas. Though his family originally was from Sialkot, he himself is a Karachiite.
Re: Where are players from Karachi in national team?
Hasan Raza is history because he failed to impress in the limited chances he got at international level. Asim Kamal looked the part atleast in tests but for some reason was ignored by the selectors in the past & even when Sallu was the chief selector
You’re conveniently forgetting though that Sami got one too many chances to cement his place in the side but was simply not good enough in tests
But also look at people like Khurram Manzoor (Karachi) who scored 77 in his last test innings in Australia not so long ago, yet is out of the current team for some reason. He must surely be wondering what he did to deserve such treatment from the selectors.
My friend, Karachi is in Sindh.
And Baluchistan does not have population.
In contrast to cities like Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, etc., KP does not have a solid cricket structure.
But one can make this point. Why 5 players from one city of Lahore, and only one from the whole province of KP. I was talking about Karachi only because I am from there.
How interesting that all these things are present only in Lahore players who constitute almost HALF of Pak team.
Re: Where are players from Karachi in national team?
I think we should support the team regardless of where the chosen players are from. I do not even look at or worry about such things. All that matters to me is the performance of the team at international level. Asim Kamal should have played more tests for sure but I do not know why he fell out of favour with selectors
Re: Where are players from Karachi in national team?
Afridi is from Karachi and was the captain of all three formats till he decided to retire from test cricket. As you said you obviously dont follow cricket much otherwise you would have known how Hassan Raza disappointed at international level and same with Faisal Iqbal.
Any player performing does get picked, giving it regional colour like you do in PA is not going to work here. Just wanted to make that point here. The reply will not change anything.
Victoria is the current Sheffield Shield champions and no one from their winning squad is currently part of australian test squad. I think it is joint conspiracy of ACB and PCB against Victoria and Karachi Blues.
Re: Where are players from Karachi in national team?
Thats a genuine question.
I think to address khoji’s genuine grieviences we should select Altaf Hussain for the next test match against England. He is available and is in UK. He will be very useful in slips and will appeal after every ball.
I just checked the total Pakistan squad. There seem to be enough players from Karachi. It is just that they have not been selected in the final team.
Hopefully, it will change for the better in future.
ehsan:
… when he was hardly 17. There was no chance given to him after that.
Re: Where are players from Karachi in national team?
I think from current team, only 3 players are questionable: Imran Farhat, Kamran Akmal (in Tests) and Shoaib Malik but Kamran Akmal has performed at some situations.
Younis Khan was from Karachi but he himself shot in the foot.