Iraqi abuse ‘known in February’](BBC NEWS | UK | Blair urged to show abuse report)
**Downing Street has confirmed it received a Red Cross report on alleged abuses by UK troops on Iraqi prisoners in February.
A spokesman said action had been taken in response but declined to give details of the allegations or how they had been dealt with. **
He said this was because the report remained confidential.
He spoke after the Conservatives called on the government to reveal when it had learned of the claims.
Number 10, the Secretary of State for Defence and the Foreign Office must say whether or not these questions were indeed raised with them"
Nicholas Soames, shadow defence secretary
New Iraq abuse claims
On Saturday Shadow defence secretary Nicholas Soames urged Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon to give a statement to the Commons on Monday on the issue.
He demanded to know when the government learned of the abuse and to give details of investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of abuse by UK troops made in the Daily Mirror.
He said it would be “a matter of the gravest concern” if it emerged the Red Cross had raised the issue of prisoners’ abuses in Iraq with the UK government “quite some time ago”.
“Number 10, the secretary of state for defence and the Foreign Office must say whether or not these questions were indeed raised with them, and what actions were subsequently taken,” he said.
The controversy intensified after the Red Cross declared on Friday that it had warned the UK of abuses more than a year ago.
Fresh abuse claims
Also on Saturday, new questions over the conduct of British troops in Iraq were raised when the Daily Mirror published fresh claims by another troop, dubbed “soldier D”.
The latest serviceman to talk to the paper claimed an Iraqi suspect had been dragged into a vehicle where he was beaten.
The paper ran a front page picture taken by the soldier, who is still serving in the Queen’s Lancashire Regiment, apparently depicting the violent episode.
The picture shows what appears to be a British soldier taking a photo of the Iraqi captive looking battered and bruised.
According to the Red Cross, Iraqi prisoners were kept naked in dark empty cells at Baghdad’s Abu Ghraib prison, which is under US control.
It said male prisoners were forced to parade around in women’s underwear, and some unarmed prisoners were shot at from watchtowers.
Some of them were killed.
‘Un-American’
In a separate incident, nine men were rounded up in Basra and beaten severely, leading to one death.
The International Red Cross Committee’s director of operations Pierre Kraehenbuehl said “concerns and recommendations” had been made to British authorities, but declined to be specific about when or what issues were addressed.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said the claims by the IRCC were contained in an interim report that dated back to before the British opened their own detention centre south of Basra.
On Friday US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld apologised for his troops’ “fundamentally un-American” abuse of Iraqi troops, and warned the most graphic pictures, and even filmed evidence, were still to come.