diwana
May 29, 2010, 4:32am
24
By becoming individuals, I mean parents actually seeing their children as adults. And children seeing themselves as responsible adults who are responsible for their lives, that they make decisions based on what they see fit, as opposed to what parents or people around them think is best for them to do.
Do note that I am not generalizing it to every single person. I do believe that things improve considerably with age, when it comes to individuation, however, by that time, most people are already married off. It is also important to clarify that I am discussing a trend that I have noticed.
Rebellion and individuation are not the same thing. However, rebellion is sometimes a good stepping stone towards becoming a psychologically fully-functioning adult (i.e. individual).
“What I have observed is that they were more agreeing with the authority over them from their parents and were satisfied and had some other moral values to go by.”
This is what I am talking about. Youth nowadays is questioning authority a lot earlier and that helps them reach their own conclusions. Questioning is one of the processes necessary for individuation.
Excellent way to put it and the choice of words to explain it. Except the red part. I would have used inverted commas on the word rebellion. That’s all. No argument whatsoever.