Ramazan and Menstration

Re: Ramzan is unfair to women below 45.

Allow me to explain to you in layman’s terms what your homeopathist was talking about.

Women who have polycystic ovaries (cysts in the ovaries) and who have the metabolic syndrome (high sugar, high lipids, weight gain, obesity, etc) have a insulin resistance problem (which causes the metabolic syndrome). Insulin somehow causes testosterone to up, and these women will have abnormal hair growth (ex. hair on their face - not like a beard, but more hair than they normally have), darkening pigment on their necks and along their armpits, and they will have amenorrhea (meaning, no periods for a long time - well past 3 months missed). Because of the metabolic syndrome, they come in complaining of fatigue and what you’d think would be cardiac symptoms. Unless a doctor asks them about their periods and takes time to note the hair growth, the diagnosis gets missed very often. That’s the classic presentation. Then there are all kinds of fun derivatives, which makes diagnosing this problem even harder.

So these women, in your friend’s terms, might look like women who have had a gender change. But in reality, they’re not MEN. They’ve just got a hormonal imbalance.

As for me, no, I haven’t had enormous weight gain, and I’m not growing course hair on my cheeks. But I have been eating bad, and I am pre-diabetic, and so insulin resistance might be causing my period to not come. I haven’t investigated it much with my doctors, mainly because of insurace issues.

Hope that brings a more mature spin on things in this discussion. :rolleyes: