Question.

Re: Question.

Peace confused kuri

I hope you are well and welcome to GupShup and specifically the Religion forum. I’ve heard the famous statement before

“na koi hindu na koi musalman”

I have also heard that Guru Nanak Ji had learnt much about Islam. In fact Muslims and Hindus alike used to come to him for guidance and advice. I hope this much is true. I also heard that both communities used to fight over who he belonged to the Muslims used to claim him for themselves and the Hindus for themselves.

I’m punjabi so it is interesting to actually translate this statement:

“There is neither any Hindu nor any Muslim”

Now this is where my problem begins. Which does this statement mean?

a) Hindus or Muslims don’t exist
b) Hindus or Muslims should not exist
c) The people present who claim to be Hindu are not and the people present who claim to be Muslim are not (for some reason)
d) We should not look at our differences of Hindu and Muslim but deal with each other on a human level

Now when you have answered this … I would like to see how if possible this translates to mean that Vedantism or Islam is actually being denounced or rejected. Please explain this:

After explaining that then please explain that if both Vedantism and Islam are not right then how can we still claim that there are many paths to God because at least two of them have been ruled out. Unless of course some people are giving the statement more meaning than it is supposed to contain.

“na koi hindu na koi musalman”, something to think over!