Laptop

I need your help, need some laptop recommendations. I know that there is a shopping forum here, however I am relying on the techies to help me sort it out.

My last 3 laptops have been Sony Vaio’s. They are pretty solid overall but after sometime I end up having issues with the touchpad/buttons so I am not exactly inclined only towards Sony.

I am traveling for work and my right click button has decided to go out of commission, and it’s mildly irritating to say the least. I might have to switch to the company laptop tomorrow which is a Lenovo, nothing special but with garbage programs (Excel 2007?).

So I am looking for a sturdy laptop, Windows 7, solid internet capabilities and under $3,000. I am not gamer and most of my work is on excel, but I do like to surf the net, some times check out streaming tv, radio etc.

Any advice?

Re: Laptop

with 3000 budget and Excel usage, I think you should go with 17-18 inches screen. Buying gaming laptop (although you are not a gamer but gaming laptops are built pretty tough and touch pad should last long), maybe a better option.

Check out Alienware products if you want to.

Re: Laptop

^

Thanks!

Alienware is compelling. Any idea on their support?

Re: Laptop

why would you buy an alienware....if you werent gaming!!!!?

Are you familiar with Mac OS? If yes, MacBook Pro would be a Good choice. If you aren't, you could still run windows on it, even though it's not as good as Mac OS. LOL

I would NEVER recommend a 17-18 Incher for business, a gaming laptop at that. They are too heavy and not meant for such portability*.

*

Re: Laptop

DO NOT BUY AN ALIENWARE to surf the internet and work on excel :smack2:

check out dell’s studio15 range or toshiba has a big range of quality notebooks

the new corei3 is more than enough for you

Dell Studio 15 Laptop Details | Dell Australia

Pak-one, your budget should be $1000 for a decent laptop (and then you can put in some accessories in the list, like a spare battery).

I have been a Sony laptop fan for years. Not only have they serviced me well but they also look like a million bucks. I have one laptop (backup) that is about 5+ yrs old and still works like a tank. So don't discard them that quick. Currently I have the NS190J. Got that sucker for $650 (refurb). Here are the specs:
- Core 2 duo - Intel T5800
- 4 gb ram
- Vista home premium (I have since upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate)
- 250 gb hd
- Connectivity: LAN, Wifi (802.11n), 4 USB, modem etc
The weight is very manageable at a little over 6 lbs. I handled a smaller Dell recently and it weighted more than my Sony

As for Alienware (as someone pointed out) it is a gaming machine (usually) and bulky. Their support for corporate clients leave a lot to be desired. Dell has a pretty good lineup in their corporate section, so does Lenovo.

My usage is mostly business work, with heavy reliabilty on Virtual Machines and remote connectivity (I'm in IT as you may know).

Let us know how you make out.

get a macbook air with SSD as you travel / light weight / stable OS ] good for exel

or get macbook pro large screen size / powerful laptop / best OS ] more than good for exel

Bad choice. It might be a lightweight, but it lacks some important features which are essential for a Laptop ( such as a DVD/CD drive) and is rather targeted at students. (Only students who want to be hip would get a Macbook though, because If they are willing to sacrifice important features for portability, why not just get a Netbook which they’d get for less than half of the Money.)

Re: Laptop

Based on his budget and the fact that he needed a laptop with a tough touchpad, I just assumed that a gaming laptop is a better option .. .

also, people who use Excel really appreciate bigger screen and most of the gaming laptops have big screens.

Re: Laptop

He could solve the touchpad issue by getting himself a Notebook Mouse. No need for a new Laptop...LOL

Re: Laptop

Maybe he does not want to use the mouse.

i was expecting this .. i had same convo with my friend i ask him a simple question

when did u last time use a CD/DVD

ans .. thinking .. thinking .. thinking .. now a days everyone prefer to transfer data via usb flash drive

yeah some time you need CD/DVD but very rare .. only for installing OS or something small

[QUOTE]
If they are willing to sacrifice important features for portability, why not just get a Netbook which they'd get for less than half of the Money.)
[/QUOTE]

netbook .. nah never .. they are way under power .. with atom processor (if im correction )

NOTE::: when first time apple remove floppy drive .. people were how is it possible ... now who uses floppies ?

Like I said, it's essential for a laptop to have such features and it's not the only feature it lacks. It only has ONE USB port, only ONE, which is a joke. It lacks an Ethernet adapter. It doesn't have a FireWire port. It doesn't have aMicrophone socket. You'll only have to work with 2GB RAM memory, because you can't upgrade it If you want to. (Which will soon be necessary)

But the most Important thing is , you can't replace the battery. LOL So You won't be carrying your spare batteries with you when you're heading to a LONG air flight. You'll be limited to use your Laptop for only a certain time. Have fun with that.

Well there are already dual core Netbooks out and they only cost about half of the amount that a macbook air does. And you can pretty much do the same things as with the Macbook Air. If not even more since it does have the things that the Macbook Air lacks, such as the Ethernet Adapter, More USB Ports and a Mic Socket. LOL

hmmm … again tell me how many times do you use CD/DVD in a day? vs usb flash drive?

yeah i agree should have two usb ports ( one for usb drive and one for mouse ) but if you get magic mouse with it no neeed

which age are in ? you buy a laptop/netbook and plug ethernet cable it in .. lol

hmmm … firewire is good for multimedia kinda of stuff … but as the thread onwer did he use firewire regularly

yeah .. need one ..

don’t think so … only gamers / graphics people care about ram .. (btw it have Snow leopard install not windows 7 :wink:

would you like to carry spare batteries or Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

:stuck_out_tongue:

show me the links for them … i just check HP .. all are atoms

HP Official Store — Buy Mini direct from HP

:rolleyes:
man
just try the studio range at dell, their build quality is as good as the sony

Every time I want to install some Software. I also assume that I will be in the mood to watch a DVD while I’m on my trip here and then.

Broadband and Wifi can be very limited in many countries. So you have to use dial up access. Had to do while I was in Pakistan, heck even had to do it at some places in Australia and Belgium.

It’s the standard for most digital video camcorders and it’s getting more and more common for such e-gadgets, since it’s faster than USB 2.0.

Even for Web Designing it’s not enough, try to run Dreamweaver and Flash MX at the same time and you’ll see how your 2 GB Ram memory laptop will start lagging.

Another lame product which doesn’t even work with all airlines and the ones it does work with, it’s only the new airplanes. (First and Business Class only)

Just to name a few…

Eee PC 1201N

Acer Ferrari One

MSI Wind U230

They all cost less than half of the amount that you’d pay for a Macbook Air. LOL

.... double post

first don't put this text background color .. just use bold text ... it uses less code

[QUOTE]
Every time I want to install some Software. I also assume that I will be in the mood to watch a DVD while I'm on my trip here and then.
[/QUOTE]

how many times do u install softwares in a day? oh you use windows .. you keep on installing useless stuff .. and most its from internet not CD's

[QUOTE]
Broadband and Wifi can be very limited in many countries. So you have to use dial up access. Had to do while I was in Pakistan, heck even had to do it at some places in Australia and Belgium.
[/QUOTE]

for that you need modem not Ethernet port .. even recent study show good number of are still using dail up in USA .. it don't mean that for them you should not limit your self ;)

[QUOTE]
It's the standard for most
digital video camcorders and it's getting more and more common for such e-gadgets, since it's faster than USB 2.0.
[/QUOTE]

yeah firewire was common but now as more & more Cam are based on Hard drives & SD card they started using USB ... I know speeds of all common protocol .. firewire is faster then usb 2.0 but in future usb 3.0 will be much faster

[QUOTE]
Even for Web Designing it's not enough, try to run Dreamweaver and Flash MX at the same time and you'll see how your 2 GB Ram memory laptop will start lagging.
[/QUOTE]

rite now i can run 3dsmax 2010 on my toshiba laptop with 1GB ram .. not a big deal ... forget about adobe products ... they need to update cores .. or write better code

[QUOTE]
Another lame product which doesn't even work
with all airlines and the ones it does work with, it's only the new airplanes. (First and Business Class only)
[/QUOTE]

yeah angoor khate hain ..

[QUOTE]
Just to name a few...

Eee PC 1201N

Acer Ferrari One

MSI Wind U230

They all cost less than half of the amount that you'd pay for a Macbook Air. LOL
[/QUOTE]

i just check eee PC .. its a atom dual-core .. still no use .. as most of application are not multi-threaded

which of netbook you recommend ? does it have SSD?

Still OS camparision need to be done ? window VS OS X

What color?

Duh, it's not about how often I need to install a new Software. But when I need to install one which is handed to me on a CD or DVD, I won't be able to say, sorry sir, my laptop doesn't have an optical drive, you'll have to hand it to me on a flash drive.

I have Windows on my Multimedia computer and on my Gaming Laptop. We use Mac in our office and I own a Macbook Pro, plus I have an Aspire One Netbook that I run Mac OS on. I use more Mac OS than Windows, so don't assume stuff here.

Once again, you'll need an Ethernet port at places. Dial up being the only option to get online at places was just an example. At some other places, such as Hotels in Asia (Korea and Japan) you don't get a wireless connection in Hotels, however wired connections are offered. And you with your Macbook Air will be sitting there, wondering how you will get online. Or maybe you just bought an USB to Ethernet adapter, but then you will be wondering how you should save your work on your USB Flash drive without getting DC-d because you only have one USB port.

His Macbook Air will still not have a USB 3.0 connection though.

It's not about ONE program but about multitasking. How many programs can you run before your Macbook Air starts lagging? If you want to do simple office work with Excel or Word, you won't need a Macbook to begin with, you can get any other CHEAPER laptop that you can do the same stuff with. But If it's about more than just Excel and Word, REAL work, you'll need more than just 2 GB of RAM.

It's the truth, not all airlines offer this. And the ones that do, it's only their newer planes.

Why? Do you want to buy one?

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses. Not everything Apple makes is good. They have been out of ideas for quite some while now. For some this fact is hard to swallow.