Karo-Kari

But one will remain a Muslim. Therefore we can be Muslim and not have Pakistan have shariah laws.

I think you’ll find that plenty of scholars dont even believe that there is anything wrong in living in a non-Muslim country.

Nobody is preventing you from demanding shariah laws. Im merely arguing that its possible to be Muslim without having shariah laws, and that nothing fundamentally changes in your Islam if you take a flight from Paris to Islamabad and discover that you are in a Muslim majority country that doesnt have shariah laws.

All this says is that we have different basis for the opinions we hold. Perhaps you recall my reasons in other threads concerning these laws. While I am unaware if there is any legal backing for them, I dont feel insecure merely because of that.

But I dont understand your argument. You are the one who brought in the name, then you said that the name isnt whats important, why did we get a separate country. I am merely following your line of reasoning and showing you nowhere In either our political history or the name change was it implied that we will also be getting or that we ever wanted shariah laws.

That you have a different view of Jinnah is unsurprising, but then you can hardly use his and his party’s actions (getting a separate country/sustaining communal riots etc) to justify something they never supported.

No I dont support laws merely because they are democratically passed. Its a factor, not the determinant. The music example merely showed that I was comfortable with a hybrid system, and didnt necessarily want an all or nothing approach. I dont think its morally objectionable for a group of people to decide they dont want to listen to music. I do think its morally objectionable if the same group decided for example that they consider NWFP a part of the Hijaz, and no minorities can live in the hijaz therefore they should all be forced out of their homes.

The particular bill you cite was at a time when religious parties had a lot of power, and were tacitly allied with Mushie. Dont think its illustrative of anything more than their brief flirtation with democratic mandates.

Because these are the parts of shariah laws that I find objectionable.