^LOL. My ideas are not novel. They’ve been mentioned by others in this thread and in other similar threads, though each person’s wording may be different.
To answer your question…(I don’t have an exact answer to this question and to many questions)
It could depend upon your beliefs. I’ve heard that scores will be settled on the Day of the judgement. I’ve even heard that there will a court to settle issues. Perhaps if you don’t witness the person getting their “just desserts” in this world…maybe you’ll see it in the next world. If you believe in a Day of Judgment…where justice will be done…perhaps this view can bring some peace.
There’s the saying that the best revenge is to lead a happy life. Sure, it’s easier said than done. But spending every waking minute of your life in the hope that the offender is being punished…not only does the negativity consume you…it’s unhealthy (stress related illnessess)…and in such waiting…you can end up not living your own life to the fullest. Those moments that you wasted wishshing that XYZ is leading a miserable life…could have been spend doing something positive for yourself. So, in a way, you’re making your own life shorter. You can wait and there’s a chance that you may not see the just desserts…or you can try to learn from a negative situation and try to move forward with your life.
Your “gain” may not necessarily be that person’s misery. Your “gain” could be strength, development of character, some lesson you learned. What you might have perceived as a “loss” could actually open the door or pave the way toward a more positive opportunity in the future. Maybe your “gain” could be better than another person’s suffering.
I dunno. I sway back and forth. There are a few people I would like to see not only get their just desserts but also come to the realization and feel shame for their offenses. But then I remind myself…that I’m only wasting minutes off my life and making it shorter for people who I don’t owe anything to…and who aren’t worth it.
Beautifully said RV!!
I believe in Karma and we reap what we sow. However karma is not responsible for all the worldly woes, sometimes it’s fate which deals us the unfavorable hand.