When I read this part of your post, it felt like I was reading about my own perspectives and experiences!! I luved going to Pakistan as well… still luv it. I try to go every two years and since I mashAllah come from a big family, its hard to coordinate everyone’s schedules together - So I have been going by myself sine I was 13. No one does this unless they truly luv to go to Pakistan But yea, as I got older, the constant critiquing and open discussion of flaws did hurt my feelings often. This was never from my immediate relatives… always more distant ones. My mom says that us kids from the US just do not have much of a hardskin since we are not used to the culture in that way. We take the comments too personally and get emotional. But khair, it still never discouraged me from going back along with all the other issues (staring, loadshedding, the heat, etc.). The luv you get from your immediate relatives is unparallel. And I am sure I am going to be sad like you the next time I go to Pakistan (for my shaadi shopping!!!) … beacuase I know in a way my trips will never be like this again post shaadi.
p.s. I luved reading about your family dynamics Sahar! MashAllah it was very heartwarming! U r such a lucky girl to live so close to your own parents and siblings along with inlaws!