I used to say the same thing, but quite honestly, education is getting to be really expensive these days. I don’t know why people would opt for another 40K per year in advanced education if they’re not going to use that degree in any way whatsoever. It just doesn’t make sense.
Basic education in the states is free, so you can argue that it would be ridiculous to drop out of high school at 16 just because you can, because then you forego all the “personal growth, enrichment”, blah blah blah.
You can argue that if you find a college giving you scholarship, or low tuition, then the benefits are greater than cost for that education.
But I see so many desi girls getting medical/law/business/engineering degrees and their FAMILIES do not INTEND on them even using those degrees. And many times, these discussions are not even held with the family prior to deciding to pursue the degree.
It’s kind of unfair to tell your kid after they’re busting their chops in law school for two years, that, BY THE WAY, we’re just going to get you married to the best guy we can find and hopefully, he’ll pay off your loans.
At any rate…if I was the husband in that situation, I’d be quite annoyed with my in-laws…not exactly something that entices a man to marry a woman…