The problem is that the Quran does forbid it pretty clearly.
Could you please post a link to this study? I’d like to see sample sizes, methodology, how “being a Muslim” was objectively ascertained, etc. If the numbers you’re giving are indeed accurate, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that, in like (fairly likely) event of a divorce, in most Western nations the mother will generally retain custody of the children.
To answer your question:
- Physical abuse is never justified, no matter what the reasoning
- As for the “community speaking ill”…the community will speak ill of people for far less than marrying outside the faith. I suppose in an ideal world, no one would gossip about others, but in reality its just a fact of life.
- Personally (and I’m hardly a religious scholar), I don’t think she ceases to be a Muslim as long as she herself still believes in the tenants of the Islamic faith. However, there’s no way around the fact that her marriage is completely invalid from a religious perspective and her children are essentially illegitimate.