Firstly, that verse mentions only marriage to Mushriks (ie idolaters only, not ‘people of the book’) and secondly of course it applies equally to men and women.
To the op, I think the confusion arises cos whilst Muslim men have been given that explicit permission to marry ‘women of the book’ Muslim women haven’t tho I don’t think there is any specific mention of it so I guess some people argue that because it hasn’t been mentioned it must be haram. There is also the opposite opinion that because there doesn’t seem to be any Qur’anic verse specifically forbidding it it must be ok..
I do know there have been fatwas declaring marriages between Muslim women and non-Muslim men haram and the reasoning specifically being the non-Muslim man having supposedly more influence on the household and the apparent likelihood of the kids being brought up as non-Muslim but even when these fatwas have been declared there have been no Qur’anic references specifically mentioning marriage to men ‘of the book’ being forbidden to back them up.
Imo people declare it as haram to ‘be on the safe side’ which I guess is a little iffy when u consider it tends to be mainly issues concerning women where the ‘strictest’ route is taken as being the right one.. Anyway, am sure this issue will be debated a lot more in years to come, at the moment it seems a bit too sensitive (think how ‘scandalous’ it still is amongst so many Muslims just to let their daughters even choose their own Muslim husband rather than parents choose and she just goes along with it, let alone entertain the idea of her ever marrying a non-Muslim)..
(And before anyone jumps down my throat I am neutral on the issue, not for or against and no, I’m not marrying a non-Muslim)