Bombs hit Basra police stations
The rush-hour explosions caused panic across Basra
Explosions probably caused by car bombs have hit three police stations in the southern Iraqi of Basra, killing at least 44 and injuring many more.
The near-simultaneous blasts happened during morning rush hour on Wednesday.
Two school buses - one apparently full of children - were destroyed in one of the attacks, a AP correspondent reported from the scene.
Gunmen also launched a fierce attack on US marines surrounding the central Sunni city of Falluja.
Iraqi police told Reuters that mortar bombs had hit two police stations in the central Ashar district of Basra while a third station was targeted in the Old City.
However, a UK military official in the city suggested the three explosions, which all came at about 0715 (0315 GMT), had been caused by car bombs.
“They were vehicle-based improvised explosive devices,” said Squadron Leader John Arnold.
Angry crowds
In Basra’s Saudia district, the wreckage of four vehicles could be seen, including the two school buses.
Distraught Iraqis stoned coalition forces trying to help
A police colonel said about 10 elementary school students whose bus had been passing at the time of the blast were among the dead.
The facade of Saudia police station was also heavily damaged with a hole two metres deep and three metres wide.
Squadron Leader Arnold said that coalition medical forces were standing by to assist with casualties but had been unable to reach two blast sites “because coalition forces are being stoned by crowds”.
Another UK spokesperson told the PA news agency that Basra had been “mainly calm” up to now and the attacks were “worrying”.
Iraqi doctors say they counted at least 40 dead and up to 200 injured.
Dawn assault
In Falluja, about 35 militants attacked US troops with guns and grenades.
The US ringed Falluja more than two weeks ago
The gunmen struck in the north of the city, mounting a “massive” barrage of rocket-propelled grenades and small-arms fire, AP said.
Explosions could be heard throughout Falluja as marines were put on high alert.
The US defence secretary warned on Tuesday that coalition troops would not wait indefinitely for gunmen to surrender in Falluja.
Donald Rumsfeld suggested the chance of a peaceful outcome was remote as militants resisting US marines were not involved in the negotiations.
BBC NEWS | Middle East | Scores killed in Iraqi bombings
Ab kiya ma-ieN apnay bachouN kee lashaN uthain gee?
Ya Allah.
