Arranged Marriage...

As I pointed out earlier, some of these conditions like microcephaly do not become obvious until the last trimester when you really can not get an abortion. Well you can, but it would be like killing a baby inside because they are capable of living if they were to come out.

I’m just trying to point out that there is a need for Pakistanis to look for partners outside their families. There are enough of us to go around! And if you have studied genetics then you should know that in the UK at least, the prevalence of autosomal recessive conditions is much higher in the Pakistani community because around 60 % of them marry their first cousins.

‘Most of the time, it depends on chance. Many genes in the human genome influence other genes. Everything in the human body is connected.’

This ^ statement makes no sense. It’s not always by chance, if both parents are carriers of an AR disorder then there is a 25% risk, which in my opinion is very high. So I don’t really know what you are talking about.

Just my two pence from a purely medical perspective :slight_smile:

It is a real problem, it pisses me off when desis just ignore it and ‘leave it up to Allah.’ Allah has given you the knowledge so bloomin use it. If you fall in love etc then fine, not much you can do. But to actively avoid marrying outside the family is what I have a problem with.

Raise your hands, how many of you have been approached by some cousin for rishta? I bet it is around 100%. Why is this so different from other cultures? Because girls and boys are separated from a young age. In other cultures, cousins are treated like siblings. In ours, it is ‘wrong’ for sexes to mix and hence why it doesn’t seem so taboo marrying your cousin.