That’s a good question, TLK. I’m not sure what the answer would be. Would an athiest child with athiest parents…who have implemented a positive upbringing…and developed a healthy self-esteem in their child…be less likely to engage in a relationship with an adult…compared to a child who has had a religious upbringing where parents did not really develop confidence/self-esteem?
It can depend upon how religion is taught by parents. Religion can be taught in a a dogmatic way that can hurt a person’s spirit…undermine their self-esteem…prevent them from using intellect, even. I’ve seen examples where parents are sooooo strict in teaching religion to their children…their preaching infused with judgmental attitudes about others…and the kids end up making strange contradictions in their practice of religion…might even start rebelling.
I think that parents who teach religion effectively…explain the reasons for haram/halal as opposed to just dictating what’s sin and sawab…allowed…prohibited. Moreover they explain that religion encourages use of intellect.
And most importantly…they realize that religion (let’s say in this case it’s Islam) encourages parents to develop healthy self-esteem in children. This falls under nurturing which most religions emphasize. So, parents (through their words/actions) try to build self-esteem in their kids.
I guess I would say that it’s more than just religion. A lot has to do with upbringing as well. And religion deals with various aspects of life including how children should be raised, etc. But in the case where the minor knows what is right and wrong…but endd up being the victim of sexual abuse…where they were forced against their will…that’s different. Or even trickery as Maroush mentioned below in the example child trafficking. And poverty might compel a person to forget dignity, endanger their health, and undertake desperate measures to earn a few bucks. But in a situation where the minor willingly seduces an adult…that allows more room for exploring the psychological reasons behind the minor’s actions.