Approaching a pappoo

True. Pedophiles will have their tactics…but I wonder (to what extent) one’s own self-esteem plays a role in prevention. It seems to make sense that a person who is internally strong will find the situation awkward and is less likely to fall for a pedophile’s “charms.”

Right now I’m reading the book She’s Come Undone. And the 12/13 -year-old girl in the story is hit on by her grandmother’s attractive and married tenant. The first time he got a little too close to her…she felt VERY uncomfortable. She avoided the guy (Jack) for a little bit. But Jack kept trying to spend time with her…called her his “friend”…praised her sooo much…made her seem like he was dependent upon her and that she was the best thing in his life. She fell for it because she was emotionally disturbed. Her father had abandoned her and her mom. Her mom was unstable herself. She had no friends…lacked confidence.

^I’m NOT saying that all victims are emotionally disturbed (situations vary). And TLK’s question is more geared toward minors who …are not victims…but actually initiate flirtatious advances (although it’s possible that the adult is misconstruing the minor’s friendly behavior for flirtatiousness). I’m just wondering how much of a role self-esteem/emotional security plays in both situations.