Forgive me because I don’t know about the religious aspect of it…but at one time I would have agreed that putting up with crap and torture is just as bad as committing it…however I don’t know if I can agree with that.
Taking the classic example of a wife who is beaten by her husband, often times teh self esteem and self confidence of a woman is down to zero where she doesnt believe she deserves any better. Half hte time hse won’t have the family support to leave her husband or stop the zulm. Is it fair for her to also be punished twice? First by taking husband/inlaws’ zulm and then again be punished because she put up with it?
I know women who went through tons of zulm in their early years but because they didn’t want to get a divorce, or they didn’t have the family support, or the lack of self respect, they put up with it. So they live their lives and get to a certain age that divorce won’t make sense, and the best that they can do is advise the younger generation on how to not make the same mistakes.