Zion forms group to examine talks with Syria

Israel forms group to examine talks with Syria

JERUSALEM: Israel said on Sunday it has set up a ministerial working group on Syria, in what is seen as a first step towards the possible renewal of peace talks that have been stalled for more than six years.

Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni formed the group “to raise all the issues and interests of Syria vis-à-vis Israel and make a diplomatic assessment,” her ministry said in a statement. It said group’s work was not related to “any type of negotiations” with Damascus. But according to local media, the group will submit a report on the chances of renewing peace talks with Syria, stalled since 2000 after both sides failed to reach agreement on territorial issues.

Last week, Defence Minister Amir Peretz said that Israel should prepare for talks with Syria, one of the main backers of the Hezbollah militia that Israel failed to destroy during the month-long war in Lebanon. “Every war creates opportunities for a broadened political process … We must establish talks with Lebanon and prepare the conditions for a dialogue with Syria,” Peretz said. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said the same day that “peace would involve Israel returning occupied lands to their owners and restoring their rights”, adding however that he didn’t expect peace “in the near future”. afp

Daily Times

Has Zion’s humiliated defeat in Lebanon caused some kind of a domino effect that might bring some new and more realistic thinking in Zion?