Re: Why do some sisters prefer not to live with in-laws?
The thing is AE think about future implications.Here in the west if there is a good relationship with the inlaws, and the inlaws r good with the DIL...I think ultimately it benefits the kids..meaning their grandkids...Just remember how many things the kids learn here being so displaced in a society which ofcourse we dont believe is our own(assuming that we r living in a non desi community)...and some Barha who truly cares for their welfare would try to undo those learnt behaviours and also add to their knowledge.I remember that my nani(I dont have a dadi:()...taught me namaz ...also the innumerable stories and poems...the ones that r not taught in school vagera..:) ..I would think that if both of the parents and the son/daugher in law have mutual respect towards each other ...it is not a big of a sacrifice as considered.Most importantly its the relationship with the husband...becuz he ultimately is the person that makes the relationship work or not..both ways.
I totally agree....grandparents can teach kids many things but these things can be taught to kids without having to live in a joint family. Afterall kids dont live in school right? Also there are some things that your in-laws or parents might teach your kids that you may not necessarily agree with which can also cause problems especially when living in the same home.
also.....the relationship b/w the husband and wife may be great but if there are problems with the in-laws then it can cause a huge burden on the relationship. I've seen perfectly good relationships that ended in divorce because in-law issues couldnt be resolved.