Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Why does it happen?

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Boredom is a curious psychological phenomenon that apparently animals don't experience. In our case I believe it is because though we have the capacity to, we haven't recognized the good. Consider how Simone Weil puts it:

"Nothing is so beautiful and wonderful, nothing is so continually fresh and surprising, so full of sweet and perpetual ecstasy, as the good. No desert is so dreary, monotonous, and boring as evil. This is the truth about authentic good and evil. With fictional good and evil it is the other way round. Fictional good is boring and flat, while fictional evil is varied and intriguing, attractive, profound, and full of charm."

**From "Morality and Literature,”
**an essay published in Cahiers du Sud, January 1944

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Bored with what? Pakistan bashing? :hehe:

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

"The world is facing some of it's biggest problems. Ever. This is the most exciting time you could have hoped to be alive. So whatever you do, don't be bored."

  • "The Dreamer" (from the critically acclaimed movie 'Waking Life')

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

I have more to add but this is not the "Science & Philosophy" forum.
Hence I shall step aside for bored people to indulge in facetious discussion.

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Consider yourself lucky…Some are too busy trying to survive to afford this luxury…

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Some1 - that's truly uplifting. Thx

Amore - only when someone talks bad of MY INDIA. Jai Hind.

Laj - it's not a luxury, trust me. Someone very close to me is suffering and it is depressing me

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

^ Yeah and you come to this board to better understand Pakistanis and muslims...whatever.

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

:k:

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

^ that's very uplifting too kaleem. good job.

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

:bummer:

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

do you specifically mean getting bored after a while.....of people/activities/routines? for example your friends/girlfriend... your work routines etc???

or do you mean just being bored all the time in general?

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

He did say he was bored. ;-/

Boredom is just a mindset...I feel we can make anything seem interesting if we try to...sometimes we feel we're bored when actually we're just sad...or we're in between two events that are really exciting/important...or when we're waiting. It could be anything ur waiting for, but it can be boring. U could try doing something uve never attmpted before when ur bored, like say sketching...that way it'll keep ur mind off what is boring/bothering you.

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

its not boredom. We are going through the same as what West experienced in 60/70s. Human beings are meant to have soulful life. This materialistic life that we live in (west, also now surging in sub-cont) is not what our body and soul were made for. That is why we feel drained at sometimes and extremely bored at other.

An example would be the lives of our parents and grand parents. There were very limited information and entertainment resources. Yet they lived their lives beautifully (even may be with lesser money), its the delimma of our generation that we have everything a person can wish but still are hollow from inside.

Some volunteer work and/or worship will definetely bring new colors in your life.

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Nikki, Smoothy - I agree with both of you. Just what I was thinking too. I am thinking I will take up pingpong which I used to be good at and haven't touched in a while ...as well as either guitar (which I had always wanted to learn to play but couldn't afford to while in India) or resume a serious body build regimen (which I had given up for many years).

Ultimately I have decided I want to return to India in the next 3 to 5 years (have to be here for family reasons till then) and open a free school for village children. I love teaching math and english and I think they can use someone who doesn't do it for the money).

shweetD- I have developed a general boredom I think. I played tough for the past 6 years making money, corporate politics etc and that was exciting then but recently that seems mundane

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Volunteer definitely helps. I got the volunteer application form from Credit Valley Hospital two weeks ago and still to lazy to fill it out and submit it :bummer:

Sincerely,
Captain Lota

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Right on bro. Life is too hard for a lot of people to afford luxury of boredom.

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

check for depression

if thats out, get a new hobby

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

But you know, the worst sense of boredom is when one feels like hi is not able enough to do something, its horrible then!

Re: Why do I feel bored with everything sometimes?

Only boring people get bored. It is a very mean statement, I know. But it is true.

Find something you like to do and do it. Internet'ism can't be one of 'em.