What's there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

Guwahati, Jan. 26 (UNI): Assam Governor Lt Gen Ajai Singh on Wednesday favoured a strong military operation against the ULFA instead of talks.

“What is (there) to talk? They should surrender and seek rehabilitation. Otherwise, they should be crushed because such talks only help the militants,” the Governor said while interacting with newspersons at the Raj Bhawan on the eve of the Republic Day.

His statement came as a shock, especially when the next round of discussion had been slated for February 7 by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) two days ago**.**

When pointed out that his view was diametrically opposed to that of the majority as well as of the PMO, he said, “this is my view and I have been saying it for two years. There is nothing to be discussed with the militant groups. They use these talks to regroup and come back.”

The Governor’s tough view would further compound the fluid situation in Assam, as the ULFA has been insisting that the Centre was not sincere for talks and responded with **28 incidents of violence and bombing in the past five days killing five and injuring 26. **

“You cannot force a situation for such talks and as a military man, I do not subscribe to that. The best part is that civil society has responded to the threat and they do not care the threat anymore,” he said.

The Governor refused to recognize insurgency in Assam as a social or economic problem. “These are militants. They should surrender the weapons and seek rehabilitation or face the security personnel,” he said.

He, however, regretted that nobody sought his view in the ongoing peace process and gave enough hint that he could have lent his experience as the army general who led the first Army operation against the ULFA in 1990.

Mizoram was the sole exception where any such talk ended on a positive result of permanent peace, he said. “Show me one example besides Mizroam where it was resolved through dialogue,” he asked. When the media pointed to the peace process between Israel and Palestine or even with the Naga peace process, the Governor refused to equate these. “My view is simple, surrender and seek rehabilitation,” he asserted.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200601260345.htm

Re: What’s there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

Now BSF ‘jawans’ also go mad…assault priests and go on rampage. Read on…

**GUWAHATI, JANUARY 29: **Eighteen Border Security Force (BSF) jawans, who went on the rampage at the Shakti shrine of Kamakhya beating up priests damaging shops today, have been detained by Guwahati police.

Around noon today, the priests of the temple complained that a group of BSF personnel, some in uniform and the rest in civilian clothes, beat up priests and volunteers and ransacked shops near the temple, Guwahati City SSP Nitul Gogoi said.

‘‘The jawans refused to buy tickets at the counter designated for security personnel and wanted to enter the temple by force while hundreds of people were standing in long queues for hours. When the priests asked them to join the queue, they refused and instead beat up priests and other temple employees, causing grievous injury to at least three priests,’’ said a spokesman of the Kamakhya Temple Trust Board.

The jawans also ransacked shops in the area near the temple that stands atop the Nilachal Hills, with shopkeepers complaining that showcases, sweets, prasad and souvenirs were damaged. A senior BSF officer who rushed to the temple within an hour of the incident assured the City Police of cooperation in finding the guilty personnel. An FIR was lodged with the Kamakhya police following which the police picked up 18 jawans. Calling the incident a case of indiscipline and high-handedness of BSF personnel in the ancient temple, the All Assam Students’ Union (AASU) today registered their protest. ‘‘This is the second incident in a month in which security personnel have attacked civilians…We demand that the culprits be brought to book within 24 hours and awarded exemplary punishment,’’ said AASU advisor Samujjal Bhattacharyya

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=86914

Re: What's there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

Assam needs to be demilitaralised ...... by occupying indian forces...

Re: What's there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed by Indian security forces in Assam. I agree with previous poster it is time this State was demilitirised, and allowed to vote on it's future.

Re: What’s there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

The governor is trying to sabotage ULFA (United Liberation front of Assam) talks: AGP leader

By Syed Zarir Hussain, Guwahati: Assam Governor Lt. Gen. (Retd) Ajai Singh is mired in a blazing row over his public statement opposing peace talks with the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).

The Assam government has criticised the governor for his views on the proposed talks with ULFA representatives scheduled in New Delhi Feb 7.

“We do not give much importance to the governor’s personal views on talks with the ULFA and other militancy-related issues,” said Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.

Senior opposition Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) leader Dilip Saikia said: “The governor’s unwarranted comments could jeopardise the peace process with the ULFA. The governor, it seems, is trying to sabotage the ULFA talks.”

The governor told journalists in Assam’s main city of Guwahati on the eve of Republic Day Jan 26 that instead of talks the rebels should surrender and join the mainstream or else face the military.

“They (ULFA) should surrender and seek rehabilitation or should face the security personnel” the governor said.

“What is there to talk? There is nothing to be discussed with the militant groups. They use these talks to regroup and come back.”

The governor’s radical views stunned senior Assam government officials and journalists who were invited for a customary tea party on the eve of Republic Day. Singh’s statement is contrary to New Delhi’s policy of tackling insurgency through peace talks in Assam and other northeastern states.

The Indian government has invited an ULFA-designated team of civil society leaders for talks in New Delhi Feb 7 despite the rebel group striking terror in Assam with a wave of bombings in the run-up to Republic Day.

“I have been repeatedly saying this for the past two years that there is no point in holding talks and, being a millitary man, I do not subscribe to that,” the governor said.

The ULFA has come down heavily on the governor’s statement.

“The governor has failed to realise the ground realities and his comments are irresponsible,” the ULFA said in a statement.

Singh had earlier locked horns with the chief minister over the issue of illegal influx of Bangladeshi nationals into Assam saying some 6,000 migrants enter through the border daily.

Gogoi had then reacted sharply to the governor’s statement.
http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=1259

It is time to rein in the ‘retired jawan’, demilitarize the Ahom Kingdom, and hold plebiscite to determine the will of the indigenous people. What is there to talk?

Re: What's there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

This not 74 that they will bomb and hide in mountains they will not know what hit them this time.........

who where when and in what context said this.. anyone who gets it right will be duely rewarded with applauds:-))

Re: What's there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

How much of it's gas supplies does India get from occupied Assam and other parts of the North East?

Re: What’s there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

Oil was first discovered in the subcontinent in the Ahom Kingdom towards the end of the 19th century. Major onshore oil refineries in Bharat are in Assam and Gujrat. The region (Assam) was economically above average before 1947. With the depletion of these oil reserves, the economic condition of the area has declined, but the national exchequer of Delhi sarkar has steadily risen. The area has huge strategic significance as well. It is connected to Indian territory by ‘Chicken’s Neck’, which is no more than 20/25 kilometers wide. But the trading activities from the neighbouring countries through this Chicken’s Neck can be a very good source of revenue for Delhi sarkar.

Refineries/Oil pipelines in India:
http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/oilandgasmaps/refineries.htm
http://oilindia.nic.in/ouract_pipeline.htm

Re: What's there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

The region (Assam) was economically above average before 1947. With the depletion of these oil reserves, the economic condition of the area has declined, but the national exchequer of Delhi sarkar has steadily risen.

In effect the Indian state is plundering the resources of Assam for it's benefit rather than the Assamese.

Re: What’s there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

Street uprising against Indian army

Guwahati: Street uprising against army operation in Assam have turned grave today as thousands of villagers tried to storm army outposts protesting against atrocities and custodial killings.

According to official source, the army too has gone defensive after the custodial death of an innocent youth Ajit Mahanta on Sunday night as they were trying to push a compensation package to the victim’s family.

Thousands of people, mostly supporters of ULFA, have continued to block the National Highway 52 at Kakopathar demanding punishment of the guilty and in fact tried to storm the army outposts.

The state government has also kept a safe distance from the incident leaving it to army as senior ministers and top bureaucrats have been steadfastly refusing to get involved in the incident.

This morning, braving the army patrolling, thousands of unarmed villagers literally evicted two army pickets located in and around the Pengeri area and made an abortive attempt to storm the main camp also.

Official sources confirming this development informed over phone that villagers have been demanding that Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi should come personally to instruct army to withdraw from the area.

‘‘Situation is very grave. Already two pickets of army have been stormed and villagers defied the last night’s army restriction of free movement. Anything can happen now as for the fourth day the National Highway 52 have been blocked,’’ said an official of the Tinsukia district administration.

The army had branded slained Ajit Mahanta as ULFA linkman while the villager’s term him as ordinary villager. A rattled state government has opened a CID inquiry, but the ground situation is going from bad to worse.

In fact about 15000 people yesterday dug up the NH52 and performed some religious rites. The army is trying to get Assam police into act to clear up the road, but even the district top brass of the Assam police is dragging its feet.

http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=7131

Re: What’s there to talk? Indian ruler of Assam goes mad.

Police kill at least 10 protesters.
In keeping with the arbitrary and violent manner that Indian security forces typically respond to protests in the country’s north-east, police shot and killed at least 10 villagers and wounded more than 20 others during a February 10 protest in the state of Assam. The demonstrators were demanding punishment of Indian Army personnel responsible for the murder of a young villager who had been taken away from his house by army personnel.

February 14: Jawans accused of rape.
Guwahati: Tripura police have registered a case of an alleged gang rape of a woman by three jawans of Assam Rifles in Dhalai district.

Nepal Das, Superintendent of Police, Police Control, Agartala, told The Hindu that a case had been registered at Chamanu police station in Dhalali district following a complaint by a woman alleging that she was raped by three jawans of 36 Assam Rifles deployed in counter insurgency duties in the area.

Mr. Das said complainant had already been medically examined and the report was still awaited to ascertain the veracity of her complaint.

February 17: Indian TV channels blacked out in Assam
Guwahati: Three major national channels - Zee News, Aaj Tak and Star News - were Friday blacked out in Assam by cable TV operators for 48 hours for allegedly failing to project the state and the North East in the right perspective.

The operators also threatened to “close down the so-called national channels if they don’t see the seriousness of the situation”.

The three news channels went off the TV screen from 6 am on Friday and will remain blocked till 6 am on Sunday, according to Assam Cable TV Operators’ Confederation and the Greater Guwahati Cable TV Operators Association presidents Md Iqbal Ahmed and Rajesh Sarma.

They alleged that important happenings and crucial issues of the region were rarely highlighted by the channels, while minor matters in other states were repeatedly telecast.

The cable operators were agitated that the national channels, “despite running in the region for a long time and earning revenue through advertisements failed to project the Kakopathar firing incident nationally”.

“Even a road accident will be repeatedly shown if it happens in the metros, but most of the burning issues of Assam and the North East hardly ever find any mention in these news channels,” Ahmed and Sarma alleged. At least nine persons were killed in police firing on February 10 at Kakopathar in Tinsukia district on a mob protesting against the death of a villager, Ajit Mahanta, in army custody.

February 18: Secret killings.
“The modus ope***** resorted to by the Centre and Assam Government was that with the help of SULFA, the local police and the Army prepared the list of family members and relatives of suspicious members of ULFA and, thereafter, they were liquidated,” the PIL claimed adding that even the bureaucrats and MLAs of ruling party assisted the government.

The NGO further claimed that Mahanta, on January 20 in his party meeting, admitted that secret killings were carried during the year 1998 to 2001 under the instructions of Home Ministry.

February 19: Withdraw the army.
NEW DELHI: Jnanpeeth award winning Assamese writer Indira Goswami, who has been mediating between the Centre and banned outfit ULFA, has written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh requesting the withdrawal of Army from Assam to help carry forward the ongoing peace process.

Goswami, a member of the ULFA-selected Peoples Consultative Group, which had two rounds of peace talks with the government, including one with the Prime Minister, in her letter apprised Singh about the prevailing situation in Upper Assam where eight people were killed in police firing and one in alleged Army custody.

“I humbly request you to kindly consider the removal of the security forces from the affected areas to ease the prevailing tension. I sincerely believe that such a step would help us to carry forward the peace process towards a positive end,” Goswami said in her letter which she sent on Saturday.

She said that such a move would be considered a “great gesture” from the government for the people of Assam.

“The ongoing peace process is a historical step. People of Assam would remain grateful to you and your government,” Goswami said in her letter.

February 28](UAE Latest News, Breaking News, Local News | Khaleej Times): It is Asom now.
GUWAHATI, India - The government in India’s restive Assam has renamed the state** Asom**, saying Assam was the corrupt version of its original name used by British colonial rulers.

“We have decided to revert back to Asom which was used by the indigenous people instead of Assam, a corrupt version left by the Britishers,” state government spokesman Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Tuesday.

Assam is in India’s remote northeast and was ruled by the indigenous Ahoms for six centuries from 1228. Ahom means ”uneven” as the region has many hills.

The original name came from the Ahom dynasty which ruled before the British occupied the state more than 150 years ago and set up tea gardens and oil refineries.

In the past 26 years, thousands of people have died in separatist violence in the state, linked to the rest of India only by a tiny strip of land.

The powerful rebel group, the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) – fighting for independence for the the state of 26 million people – has been writing the spelling of “Assam” as “Asom” since the outfit was formed in 1979.

In the past decade, several Indian cities have been renamed to reflect local cultures, such as Bombay to Mumbai, Madras to Chennai and Calcutta to Kolkata.

March 3](http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/7454_1641327,0008000500010000.htm): Jawans assault women.
An FIR was filed against some Army personnel for allegedly assaulting two women in Tezpur town of Assam’s Sonitpur district.

According to official sources, a woman owner of a weaving shop Nelima Bora filed the FIR on Thursday alleging that last month an Army Major, his wife and some jawans had ordered for a suit in the shop.

Irked over late delivery, they had ransacked the shop on Wednesday. Two women weavers who were present in the shop were also assaulted, she alleged.

The Sonitpur district administration has ordered an enquiry into the incident.
The Army when contacted denied involvement in the incident.

March 5](http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060306/asp/nation/story_5931099.asp): Jawans torture youth.
Jorhat, The Assam Rifles found itself embroiled in another controversy when a youth who was allegedly picked up by the paramilitary force returned home this morning with tell-tale signs of torture in custody.

Madhurjya Gogoi said a team of soldiers “kidnapped” him along with another youth, Manjit Sahu, from near the Bhogdoi bridge in Jorhat on February 28.