Amber11
April 20, 2007, 12:24am
137
Re: What is a “good” salary?
I really don’t know. Since you are talking of pre-tax gross salary, so assumring you are a single guy with minimal expenses, I’d say you are probably better off in a city in some smaller (less expensive) state. Rent will be the biggest fixed cost and if you end up paying $1,000+ (which is normal in Northern California), you can already see how much is left for all other expenses.
In any case, here are some typical expenses for a person
Rent: 500-1000 (depending upon geography)
Car payment: $200-$500 (depending upon the car and your credit rating)
Utilities: $100-200 all inclusive
Food: Approx $20-40 avg per day
Car Insurance: Approx $500-1000 per 6 mos (depending on the car)
Gas/petrol: Approx $200 per month.
Entertainment/movies/etc: upto you.
Assume a tax rate of about 20-30% for a single person with no itemized deductions. Do your math and you have your answer.
With these calculations I am really thinking that how an average American Family lives…if they r not even college graduates..I read that an average income is somewhere in the 30K range?? I mean how do they survive..just basically living by the month:confused: