No, I will disagree a little over here. Because in some cases it is a very big deal… I remember this one time in the early 1990s when I was playing in front of my house with my friends. One of our neighbors, Mr. Malik, was arguing with his wife - Well actually I now think that he was only trying to calm down his wife, but she was (for some unknown reason) not listening to anything he was saying.
Anyway in less then a minute, the argument went totally out of control - And Seema (his wife) hit Mr. Malik with a big handi ki chamaach on his forehead, in front of us all! DOYYING!!! We couldn’t help but explode into laughter, but since we were kids at the time, we also quickly ran away.
So from that day onwards, Mr. Malik became the butt of all jokes in my locality. This by the way was right next to Seaview beach. Anyway in the years that passed, Malik sahib and his wife behaved normally (although they still fought a lot, they at least did it in private)…
But their youngest boy (who’s name I will not mention here) was a total nut case. Almost everyone could see what effect his idiotic parents were having on him. He was not cruel to animals or anything like that (which is what you must have thought I was going to say next) - He instead was simply too afraid of everything, and would often wet his pants at the slightest excuse.
We of course are from the class of people who have seen domestic violence only from a distance. But those who have lived through it, hardly ever walk out without any emotional damage…