ENOUGH!!
We’re tired my heart and I,
We sit beside the headstone thus,
And wished that name was carved for us.
The moss reprints so tenderly
The hard types of the mason’s knife,
As heavens sweet life renews earth’s life
With which we’re tired my heart and I.
You see we’re tired my heart and I,
We dealt with books, we’ve trusted men,
And in our blood we drenched the pen,
As if such colours could not fly.
We walked too straight for fortune’s end,
We loved too true to keep a friend;
At last we’re tired my heart and I.
How tired we feel, my heart and I!
We seem of no use in the world
Our fancies hang grey and uncurled
About men’s eyes indifferently,
Our voice which thrilled you so, will let
You sleep; our tears are only wet;
What do we hear, my heart and I?
So tired, so tired, my heart and I!
It was not thus in that old time,
When Ralph sat with me 'neath the lime
To watch the sunset from the sky.
“Dear love, your looking tired,” he said;
I smiling at him, shook my head;
'Tis now we’re tired, my heart and I.
So tired, so tired, my heart and I!
Though now none takes me on his arm
To fold me close and kiss me warm
Till each quick breath ends in a sigh
Of happy languor. Now alone,
We lean upon this graveyard stone
Uncheered, unkissed, this heart and I.
Tired out we are, my heart and I.
Suppose the world brought diadems
To tempt us, crusted with loose gems
Of powers and pleasures? Let it try.
We scarily care to look at even
A pretty child, or God’s blue heaven,
We feel so tired, my heart and I.
Yet who complains? My heart and I?
In this abundant in earth no doubt
Is little room for things worn out;
Distain them, break them, throw them back
And if before the days grew rough
We once were loved, used…well enough,
I think, we’ve fared my heart and I.
http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/smilies/teary3.gif
[This message has been edited by NaikLarki (edited March 09, 2002).]