it’s good to try and understand the background and context of something. NFP’s point was and generally is how Pakistan has changed since Zia’s time. that is generally the theme of those types of articles he writes.
and if you were old enough you would also know that. but if you grew up in Zia’s time like I did, you won’t remember/know what he is talking about. all I remember is dupattas, etc on PTV. in those days you would have never imagined a Pakistani girl on TV without dupatta or wearing pants. the Pakistan the previous generation grew up in was very different from ours.
but ask your parents and even they will tell you how the culture changed when Zia came. Pakistan wasn’t always like this. and people didn’t use Inshallah and Mashallah as liberally and continuously as they do now. and of course, there is that Allah Hafiz and Khuda Hafiz debate as well where now you actually will be told to use Allah Hafiz instead of Khuda Hafiz because there is a “difference between Allah and Khuda”. we weren’t always this dogmatic and insecure. and that is what NFP is trying to say.
it’s funny… I’ve never been an avid fan of NFP’s because of his pro-Musharraf and pro-MQM shenanigans. but I’m being forced to defend him here. kamaal dunya hai.
That’s not the point samb. I am sure there are a lot more things to worry about. I am definitely NOT an extremist (strong believer of moderate Islam)but still use "Inshallah or “Mashallah” because it probably gives me assurance or peace of mind. It doesn’t really mean i am bringing religion into everything and there is certainly no need to worry about if average Pakistanis uses “Inshallah” or “Mashallah”.