Despite all the tall claims of the government, I think the operation was a complete disaster for the Pakistani Army. Now the people have started accepting the lapses in intelligence during the operation. First Musharraf claimed that they had cornered a high value target, then they said that no one could escape i.e. they had had the ‘terrorists’ cornered, now they are saying that they have managed to escape. Just yesterday, our army was claiming that the intelligence chief of Al-qaida had been killed, now they are saying that he was a local operative. Our army says that they have rounded up many al-qaeda operatives, but after so many days of their arrests, their is no news about the nationality of the people nabbed. Although our government was claiming that they have got Al-qaida cornered, still they havent managed to arrest one arab from the area.
The operation was a complete failure on every front, except that they have finally managed to create a suspicion in the mind’s of the tribals for Pakistani army. For the first time the army has created a sense of hatred for themselves in that area. If still they dont think with their heads we will have another Bangladesh in the offing in no time. Its our mistake if we think that the tribals will remain with us under all conditions, if we cross the limits, they will be fully justified to give take all necessary actions to stop our exesses.
**Scepticism greets Pakistan ‘success’
**
The Pakistan government has declared its 12-day military offensive in South Waziristan on the border with Afghanistan a success and withdrawn several thousand troops from the troubled Azam Warsak area.
The troops, however, will remain in the regional capital, Wana, for further operations against al-Qaeda and Taleban suspects, and Pakistani tribesmen co-operating with them.
**On Monday, military spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan claimed an intelligence chief by the name of “Abdullah” in Osama Bin Laden’s al-Qaeda network was among those killed in the operation.
However, there was widespread scepticism about the identity of this man because such a name has not figured much in the list of top al-Qaeda operatives.
Like this claim, other successes claimed by the government ministers and spokesmen in the South Waziristan operation have also been received with scepticism in view of the military’s failure to capture any of the so-called “high-value targets”.
Let-down
**
Indeed, **President Pervez Musharraf’s reference to the likely presence of a “high-value target” in the area earlier fuelled speculation that Bin Laden or his deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri might be hiding there.
**
The international media that flocked to Pakistan to cover the event was disappointed when it became obvious that the al-Qaeda leaders were not in the area.
**
There was not much to celebrate when the Pakistan Army regulars and the paramilitary Frontier Corps pulled out from the 50-sq-km (20-sq-mile) area that had been cordoned off for 12 days to nab the so-called “foreign terrorists” and Pakistani tribesmen accused of sheltering al-Qaeda and Taleban suspects.
Of the 150 or so people who lost their lives in the fighting, around 60 were soldiers.
The high casualty figure - despite the superior military resources and the aerial support enjoyed by the Pakistan Army - was unexpected and could have a demoralising effect on the soldiers’ morale in future.
By employing classic guerrilla tactics, the militants inflicted losses on the army and militia and broke the siege with help from the local tribes.
**
In the end, the government had to ask tribal elders and religious scholars to intervene in securing the release of 12 paramilitary soldiers made hostage by the militants.
**
The government is also claiming to have captured an unspecified number of “foreign terrorists” and killed another 18.
None of them have been shown to the press, thereby creating doubt about the figures.
**
The 163 suspects who were arrested were mostly villagers and it appears that majority of them will have to be released in due course of time.
**
Civilians killed
A bigger concern is the high number of civilian deaths in the military operation.
Thousands of people were displaced, properties were damaged and homes were looted.
Any goodwill that the tribal people had for the military was lost as a result of the suffering of the civilian population.
**
President Musharraf’s political opponents also opposed the military offensive in South Waziristan.
From the secular Pakistan People’s Party of Benazir Bhutto to former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s Pakistan Muslim League, and from the nationalists to the Islamist MMA, all political parties demanded an end to the military operation and some even threatened to stage a march to South Waziristan to record their protest.
Many politicians and the public at large believed the military offensive was launched at the behest of the US government.
President Musharraf and his Prime Minister Mir Zafarullah Jamali have fulfilled their commitment to be on the side of the US and its allies in the war on terrorism.
But it has became obvious that they were under tremendous pressure from the domestic opposition not to send troops to fight fellow Pakistani Muslims in South Waziristan and other tribal regions bordering Afghanistan.