After falujjah, the invaders have now turned their attention towards Najaf. Hope they are humiliated here in the same way as they were at Falujjah.
US troops ‘poised to storm Najaf’](BBC NEWS | Middle East | US threatens big assault on Najaf)
US and Iraqi forces are preparing for a major assault against Shia Muslim fighters in the holy city of Najaf, the US military has said.
US forces have been battling insurgents loyal to radical cleric Moqtada Sadr for the past week.
Hundreds have been reported killed or injured since the fighting began.
One of Iraq’s deputy presidents, Ibrahim Jaafari, has called for the US-led forces to withdraw and allow Iraqi security forces to take over.
“I call for multinational forces to leave Najaf and for only Iraqi forces to remain there,” he said in remarks broadcast by Arabic TV channel al-Jazeera.
Earlier, he also called on Mr Sadr’s Mehdi Army militants to pull back.
But the US military - whose intervention was requested by the Najaf governor last week - has said it plans to press on with its offensive in the city.
“Iraqi and US forces are making final preparations as we get ready to finish this fight that the Moqtada militia started,” said Col Anthony Haslam, commanding officer of the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit in Najaf.
“The desired end state is one of stability and security, where the citizens of Najaf do not live in fear of violence or kidnappings, and where the city of Najaf can once again return to peace and prosperity.”
The US military said on Monday that Najaf’s Governor, Adnan al-Zorfi, had given its troops permission to raid the Imam Ali mausoleum. The US says the insurgents are using the shrine as a refuge, but an attack could anger Shia Muslims.
It is one of the holiest sites in Shia Islam, marking the spot where the Prophet Muhammad’s son-in-law, Ali, is buried.
Mr Sadr has called on his followers to keep fighting even if he himself is captured or killed.
“I thank the dear fighters all over Iraq for what they have done to set back injustice,” he said as fighting flared up in other cities such as Amara, where at least 10 Iraqis died in clashes with UK forces.
Confirmed casualty figures are unavailable for Najaf but clashes in Baghdad, Amara, Kut and other towns left at least 30 dead and 219 wounded on Tuesday alone, the Iraqi health ministry said.
At least six Iraqis were killed and 10 injured when a bomb exploded at a market near Baquba, north of Baghdad.