Yes, writing is an option besides talking. It’s even suggested to start off with positive points about the individual before addressing the areas of concern…and that you’re supposed to use “I” messages as opposed to those beginning with “You did this and that.” There are so many suggestions.
I know that sometimes if we give a person a taste of their own medicine…it CAN (not a guarantee) help them see how foolish they’re behaving. It’s like presenting a mirror. I know teachers may imitate a student’s negative behavior on purpose…so the student can SEE/Hear/Feel what he or she looked or sounded like when they were crossing the line. Sometimes it sends the offender a jolt of realization where they think “Gosh…that’s how immature I acted?” Yikes!"
For many situations, a variety of strategies can be used. And sometimes when one strategy has lost its effectiveness…you have to try something else.