The strange things we see...

The year was 1992 or 1993 and Benazir was in power. To oppose her government the opposition parties had made what was known as the C.O.P (Combined Opposition Party)…It included MQM, Jamaat-e-Islami, PML-Nawaz and couple of others which I don’t remember…

As member of the APMSO, the student wing of MQM, our branch of the college APMSO along with thousands of other volunteers were settled in Islamia college in PECHS…

The dress code was blue jeans and a white shirt, but me being me, wore a white malmal ka kurta on jeans instead…

In the night, groups were formed of about a dozen guys each with one group leader, each was given a pass with a passport photo which we hung on our necks and in the night went about cordoning the streets in preparation for the upcoming Jalsa which was three days hence…

So me and these few other guys went about at night laying barbed wire across the entrances to the Gullis which ran along the Islamia college…Each person was given a street to guard and each had to let the inhabitants of the Mohalla in by moving the barbed wire and letting their car through…I thought people might get ticked off about it, but they were all very accomodating…

I was lucky in the sense that the Gulli that I was guarding, had a house with a tree whose branches overhung the footpath underneath which was a small Chabootra…So I just sat there under the tree safe from the crackling heat of the midday sun while the other poor saps had to stand in the heat…

The Gulli which I was standing guard at had a pan ki dukan at the corner where I was stationed…Right across from me was another Gulli which was guarded by two Shalwar Qameez wearing MQM guys and judging from their demeanour, big moustaches and lack of IDs, I knew they were a little different from the rest of us students…Not to mention they were the only ones with chairs…

One of them came over and sat with me for a while…Found out they were from ‘90’ and were sent over to take care should any major problem arise…I felt sheepish and asked them if it was OK for me to be sitting and taking it easy…The guy said no problems and asked me if I smoked or ate pan…I told him I smoked, so he told me to go ahead and take whatever I needed from the panwalla in the corner…That day I smoked a lot of cigarettes…I asked the panwalla if he is going to be paid or am I taking a sort of Bhatta from him…He said don’t worry…Those guys are good…

Our duties were to be for five days as the Jalsa was supposed to last 2 or 3 days…

During my standing there on that corner, there was this Pagal woman with raggedy clothes and white disheveled hair that used to come by…She was small in height and thin and judging by her age would be no less than 50 or 60 years old…

I could tell there was psychological problem with her…But there was something about her, an aura which regular Pagal people of the streets don’t have…She carried herself with grace, even in the tattered condition that she was…She didn’t have that ‘Wahshipun’ or that crazed look that most Pagals of the streets have in their eyes…I gathered she lived in a house in the Gulli I was guarding because she would come every often and stand in front of the panwallas shop…She would look at me every so often and smile and I would return her smile…

On the second or third day she came and sat down on the chabootra that I sat on…I turned to look at her and she smiled to which I returned her smile…

I thought maybe I’d say something, maybe talk to her, but I feared that what if she went psycho on me? What if I said something to her that would trigger a psychotic episode in her and she’d start screaming and shouting and probably attack me…So I just stayed quiet and turned my head…

Then she said in a very soft voice, ‘Kia naam hai tumhara’? I was not startled by her talking to me, but the way her accent was…It was a very educated and cultured way of talking…I was expecting a gruff, crazed voice, but this Pagal of the streets sounded very gentle…

I hesitantly told her my name…She asked ‘Parhte ho?’ I replied yes

‘Kuch peenay kai liye laaun? Garmi bohat hai aur tum kaafi dair sai kharhay ho…’ I refused, fearing God knows what kind of utensils or what kind of water she might bring me…I refused her with a polite thanks…

Then she asked me, ‘Favourite subject konsa hai?’ I replied English…

She then asked me in an amazing English accent, the one which is a hallmark of well-bred, educated and cultured families in both India and Pakistan, ‘Really? Do you also speak it?’

The accent was not British or American, it was that peculiar accent that comes from studying in British convents under strict, disciplinarian teachers…

I was taken aback…I replied, yes I do…

‘And where did you learn to speak it, dearie?’ I told her I was educated in a British school in Germany…

‘That means you also speak German, right?’ I laughed and told her lack of practice makes it hard to keep up…

She replied, ‘Yes…Some things are hard to remember and some are hard to forget…’ She became quiet for a while after that…

Then she asked me out of the blue…‘Do you have a sweetie?’ I started laughing and told her yes, I do…‘What’s her name?’ I told her the name, which was actually the nick of my sweetie…‘That sounds very English…’

This was most interesting and intriguing for me…This lady, who by her accent alone seemed from a cultured bygone era, who spoke perfect English with a upper crust accent, would be roaming the streets with disheveled hair and dirty, soiled clothes…I had the greatest urge to engage her in a conversation, to slowly and gently with as much tact as possible, discover and uncover the secret behind this weird facade…Was she a Qalandari? She didn’t look the religious type…Was she someone who, like in the Indian movies, banged her head someplace and was overcome with lifelong amnesia only to roam the streets? Was she like a Maharani or Nawabzadi who had lost everything? The questions in my mind were endless…

But before I could ask her anything, she suddenly got a confused look on her face and walked away…Without saying a thing…I didn’t call after her…I knew she’d be back, she always stood at the corner near the Panwallas Dukan…I’ll next time she comes around, I’ll say Salam to her and engage her in conversation…Find out about her…

But she never came…It was my second last day, I thought she’d come back the next day…She didn’t…

The Jalsa had ended…We were all supposed to wrap up the barbed wire and head back towards Islamia college…I kept waiting for her, hoping she’d come and explain the enigma that she was…

I wrapped up my barbed wire, went over to the Panwalla to grab a cigarette…In the absence of anything to quench my inquisitiveness, I asked the only person I could get some answers from: The Panwalla…

He made her life story seem just blase…She was married to a wealthy man in India, had 2 sons and a daughter, both sons abandoned her and daughter lives somewhere abroad and she stays with some relatives…The abandonement of her family left her shattered and that’s why she is the way she is…

That’s all…That’s all I could find out about her…

Now, who knows? Where is she? Is she alive? Dead? I never bothered to find out…

It’s strange I’d remember her after all these years…

Re: The strange things we see...

Well it is sad to hear about her, maybe she still remembers you? maybe she saw her son in you?

Give up smoking mate, thats my only advice to you.

Oh yeah the other advice is try to talk and learn from people, sometimes they can change your perspective in life.

Re: The strange things we see...

interesting, intriguing...

Re: The strange things we see…

yaar tum to apni party kay niklay..so u r still the member of apmso??..u came accross any “sweet taste” of army at tht crucial period for mahajirs?..

khair u r talking abt streets of islamia college side..when my dear,i go regularly to tht area as my cousin and few friends live there and infact i know each and every street of tht area but i did not see any such woman u mentioned…

khair such parents r in huge number in pakistan… their sons and daughters r living in west and parents live the life worst then animals…many of them live in in big houses and with nokar chakar but their lifes remain worst then any thing 1 can imagine…tht is the tragedy of our nation,we r too much hungry for dollars or pounds…

i personally know few people who r suffering from such problem and really after observing their miserable lifes, i have become totally against western pakis…for me, there is not just a single difference between a gali ka kutta and those western pakis who live their parents in such miserable condition where they wait for their children calls for months…even i m callously against those who leave pakistan permanently…might be i m an extremist lover of my country …

Re: The strange things we see…

Lajo you fundo bajanga you were an APSMO person :eek: 1993 a critical moment in the history of the MQM ..it marked the beginning of the end of the 1980’s MQM.

A sad story, unfortunately all too common nowadays, whether the kids are in Amrika or working as labourers or tax drivers in the middle east..the stories are much the same, the breakdown of the old support networks. People preferring individualism over mutual support (even if mutual support networks gave them the opportunity to become independant)..

Re: The strange things we see...

Almost every mohajir who did not belong to certian elite areas was either a member or had loyalties with MQM/APMSO. Even the mullahs.

Re: The strange things we see...

for goodness sakes lets get this in perspective

NOT ALL PEOPLE WHO'S CHILDREN MOVE ABROAD WANDER AROUND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD IN A DISHEVELLED STATE AND TALK TO STRANGE PEOPLE CALLED LAJAWAB!!!!

secondly LJ this story reminds me of a lady I knew...she used to walked around wearing wellington boots with a huge fuzzy shaggy mane of hair, the schoolchildren would cross the road when they saw her.
She would glare at them or do things like throw newspapers back at the delivery girl... and chase postmen out of the street
she spent her time wandering around and mumbling to her self and if she wanted company or to pass on a fine peice of news she'd talk to the red letter boxes or her an assortment of friendly local bushes...
and if you listened carefully you'd find her discussing, the weather, archbishop Desmond Tutu, and one early summers day she was discussing the Pope with a wildrose bush, she was not please with what he was trying to impiment and the rosebuse was politely nodding in the breeze

She talked to me once, her eyes had lost that glazed look she used to walk around with...she spoke with a crisp upperclass accent , she said she was born in India.. her father was in the Army out there and she had the most delightful childhood there... being looked after her ayah.

hse told me she remembered just one indian word she pointed up and said ... Asmaan

and then she promptly turned around and walked off... without a by or leave!

later I foundout that she "lost her mind" when her two children were killed in a car crash

you never know what life will throw at you...!

Re: The strange things we see...

Riz: Given up long time ago...

Guy: No, I used to be part of APMSO at a time when it was truly a student's organization...Distributing free books to poor students, providing funds for poor students who could not afford an education, arranging seminars in downtrodden localities to teach people to send their kids to school e.t.c....

I left it after it started to become a haven for MQM thugs...More and more MQM involvement meant more and more political motives...After it ceased to be organization that it was, I left it...I joined it for non-political aspirations, not because I was a Mahajir...

Zakk: Don't know where you live, but early 1990s were a bad time for Karachi...I know, I was there...

Khekeshan: You mean to say that people who joined APMSO or MQM were mostly from deprivated areas? Or that affluent people didn't join APMSO or MQM because they were, 'affluent'?

If that's the case, then with apologies, your knowledge stems from preconceived notions and very little knowledge about MQM...Probably all you heard about MQM or APMSO was from tabloid papers...

True, they became rotten later on, but I have met some very wonderful people from all walks of life during my stint with APMSO...Even then, I was never into ethnic strife or differences...In fact while in the APMSO, one of my two best college friends was in the Pakhtoon Students Federation and we used to hang around all the time...

You have some preconceived opinions which don't tally with the facts...

LD: I can't help it...Weird people attract me...Strangeness has a mesmerizing effect on me...Not anything to do with insanity or psychology but eccentricity...It just boggles me how vast and infinite the personality can be...

In a room full of laughing and merry making people my eyes would drift to the one sitting quietly in the corner...

In a playground of running, jumping and playing kids my eyes would catch the kid who is hunched over an anthill and watching the ants do their thing...

Even on this board my eyes seek the weird...But for some strange reason, there is an unfortunate lack of eccentrics on this board...Everyone seems so, normal...Not that I mind...But it's good to meet someone crazy once in a while...

Re: The strange things we see…

Muhajir, MQM, 90…lol Lajo bahaiya acha kiya U.S ake :hehe:

I don’t want to go into the politics but would say that MQM and Urdu speaking Pakistanis have contirbuted a lot. People usually get the notion that they are brown skin, short and slim people who’s parents migrated from either Uthar Pardesh and Bangladesh etc but what they fail to understand is that they more diverse than this.

There are lot of sayings about MQM but what is true is that when Urdu speaking students starting to emerge in Karachi with their new and fresh ambition to change the society, ISI took advantage of it and formed a party to break the strong hold of PPP. When this vim got out of hand, military came in, Altaf bhai went out :wink: and we were stuck in the middle.

I think your story of the women gives us a glimpse of an unfulfilled and unconsummated past of Karachi. It was filled with vigor and future, just no one to manage it. When selfish people were done, Karachi was left just like the sad elderly woman in the street, consfused and with the future that is obscure and blurry.

BTW, I like your writing. Keep it up :slight_smile:

Re: The strange things we see...

I am short-listing this post for my 'best of the year 2006' list.

Brilliant post!

Re: The strange things we see...

And all this time I was goofing on you thinking you were some jamatiya kid. :D

Anyhoot, my hat's off to you.

[quote]

Then she said in a very soft voice, 'Kia naam hai tumhara'? I was not startled by her talking to me, but the way her accent was...It was a very educated and cultured way of talking...I was expecting a gruff, crazed voice, but this Pagal of the streets sounded very gentle...

I hesitantly told her my name...She asked 'Parhte ho?' I replied yes

'Kuch peenay kai liye laaun? Garmi bohat hai aur tum kaafi dair sai kharhay ho...' I refused, fearing God knows what kind of utensils or what kind of water she might bring me...I refused her with a polite thanks...

Then she asked me, 'Favourite subject konsa hai?' I replied English...

She then asked me in an amazing English accent, the one which is a hallmark of well-bred, educated and cultured families in both India and Pakistan, 'Really? Do you also speak it?'

The accent was not British or American, it was that peculiar accent that comes from studying in British convents under strict, disciplinarian teachers...

I was taken aback...I replied, yes I do...

'And where did you learn to speak it, dearie?' I told her I was educated in a British school in Germany...

'That means you also speak German, right?' I laughed and told her lack of practice makes it hard to keep up...

She replied, 'Yes...Some things are hard to remember and some are hard to forget...' She became quiet for a while after that...

Then she asked me out of the blue...'Do you have a sweetie?' I started laughing and told her yes, I do...'What's her name?' I told her the name, which was actually the nick of my sweetie...'That sounds very English...'

[/quote]

The city and it's people are full of suprises. I have always found it and the people there exotic.

Do you know the story behind 'aa'ye sahab, khana khillaye'?

Re: The strange things we see…

Not sure Luxury…But I would like to know about it?

And thanks for the appreciation…:k:

Re: The strange things we see...

very speculative read Lajawab. I've been a silent reader on this board for quite a while now and have seen you talking about all sorts of things but this one, if combined with your other posts, tells so much more about how you have evolved throughout the last decade basically. That certainly was one of the best reads on Gupshup as Luxury Item said.