Re: South Asian Muslims' Self-Hatred
Cultures are always in flux. For Pakistanis to adopt a different culture will lead them to look like fools.
To clarify, I don't mean that wearing a shirt and pants to work means that you have adopted the culture, instead I am referring to adopting to social norms such as going to the pub after work to grab a pint. Therefore I believe that the article has oversimplified the adaption of culture by talking about thobes and keffiyehs.
Many Pakistanis do try to adopt/link with another culture and it starts with my family came from (Arabia/Iran/Afghanistan/Turkey).
My 'culture' spans two countries (Pak. & Afghan) and predates Islam. I like my culture and the linkages it provides me to my kins, but I also follow Islam and I am a very nationalistic Pakistani. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that. Any culture- including Arabian- has traditions predating the rise of Islam, to argue otherwise, is a statement of ignorance.