Re: sleeping with feet facing makkah
I think this has more to do with cultural inhibitions than religious injunctions. I am sure some one can come here and explain the ruling on this issue, But what I have seen is that Arabs are much more relaxed about pointing their feet towards mekkah. Muslims from India/Pakistan are very concious of this and are highly regimented about the issue of "respect" towards mekkah. I am sure all realize that Earth is round.
And not just in this one thing. Handling the Quran is also another example. Arabs frequently read it by putting it on their legs. When they have to get up, I have seen a number of them would casually put it down on the floor and upon returning pick it up and resume their reading. Desi muslims will be aghast at such a display of "disrespect". In desi culture Quran is placed at the highest cupboard and it never touches the floor. Many don't even put it on their legs while reciting it; and I personally know many people who will always hold Quran with both hands and never with just one hand. My feeling is that due to familiarity with the language, for many Arabs, Quran is divine text that should be read, understood and implemented in life. Desis, for the most part, consider it something that is so sacred that it should be "recited" with care and placed at the top most drawer in the cupboard. Very few actually attempt to understand it (by learning Arabic), some ponder only at the translation, and fewer still make any attempt to implement its teachings in their lives (and rather rely on a mufti sahab to explain what Allah says). But when it comes to respecting it, we are absolutely #1! Yes!!!