Situational/Personal/Seeking Advice Threads in Life1

Re: Situational/Personal/Seeking Advice Threads in Life1

Thank you all for your feedback. I hope there is more feedback as well from the other moderators and guppans. I just wanted to make a point to all of the guppans that pretty much everything can be considered defamation or as Magic 8 Ball mentioned, backbiting. Please, just stick to answering the questions and expressing your views in an appropriate manner, instead of derailing the topic and becoming lawyers all of a sudden calling something defamation. This then riles other users into agreeing with you, affecting the poster who has a genuine concern and wants advice. I understand that mods are busy but such posts should be deleted/edited since they are off topic. As Sehrysh pointed out, the posters have no clue as to the identity of the subject and have no idea if what is posted is false. Only the poster and the subject can verify that. This negative attitude- defamation/backbiting- discourages people from making threads to seek advice from the guppans who they see as intellects or wise. If someone says that their husband/wife is cheating on them or beating them- are we going to go off topic and say, “this is DEFAMATION” or “backbiting?” Please, be mature in your posts and answer the question/concern instead of derailing the thread or attacking the thread creator.

I completely agree that posters have a responsibility too. Posters should avoid quoting the relative/friend/enemy/whoever they are writing about. Have a really random username. Avoid mentioning names and locations. I am happy to know that you still encourage personal posts/questions, I just wish guppans were more welcome to this.

and

Thanks Magic 8 Ball and BarbieCue. That’s how it should be but in that specific thread I mentioned, people were not answering the general questions at the end of that post, instead more or less were harshly putting down the OP- I just didn’t get that behavior. You can have a harsh/negative answer to a question, but don’t attack the thread creator. Then it was derailed to defamation, then I decided to bring it up as an issue.