Sherry Rehman dismisses Government's account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

The plot thickens

  • PPP’s senior politician says the government’s account of how Benazir Bhutto died is utter nonsense and a deliberate attempt by it to try and absolve itself of all blame for Ms Butto’s killing. Bullet wounds to Bhutto’s head were apparent while body was bathed

  • Baitullah Mehsud’s spokesman Maulana Omar has also rubbished government claims that the tribal leader was involved in Ms Bhutto’s murder, calling it ‘government propaganda’
    ------------------------------------------------BBC NEWS | South Asia | Bhutto's cause of death disputed](BBC NEWS | South Asia | Bhutto's cause of death disputed)
    Benazir Bhutto’s supporters have disputed the Pakistani government’s account of how she died, calling it “dangerous nonsense”.
    A government spokesman said her head was slammed against her vehicle by the blast from a bomb - but colleagues said she died from bullet wounds.
    A Pakistani militant, accused by the government of being behind the killing, has denied any involvement.
    Meanwhile troops patrolled the streets on Saturday trying to quell violence.
    At least 31 people have died in widespread civil unrest since her assassination in Rawalpindi on Thursday. The shells of burned cars littered the deserted streets of Ms Bhutto’s home city of Larkana on Saturday, after overnight rioting.

Ms Bhutto was buried on Friday at her family’s marble mausoleum. Pakistan’s main opposition leader, Nawaz Sharif, is to visit the grave of his former rival on Saturday.
Citing what it said was an intercepted phone call, the interior ministry said Benazir Bhutto’s killing had been ordered by an “al-Qaeda leader”, Baitullah Mehsud.
Pakistani intelligence services intercepted a call from him in which he allegedly congratulated another militant after Ms Bhutto’s death, interior ministry spokesman Javed Iqbal Cheema told reporters.
But **a spokesman for the South Waziristan tribal leader denied he was involved, calling it “government propaganda”. **
**“He had no involvement in this attack,” spokesman Maulana Omar said in a telephone call. **
“It is against tribal tradition and custom to attack a woman,” he added.
Al-Qaeda and pro-Taleban militants are believed to have been behind dozens of bomb attacks in Pakistan in recent years, in which hundreds of people have died - including many women.
‘Soaked in blood’ The government presented video of Benazir Bhutto’s last moments at a news conference.

The interior ministry said the primary cause of Ms Bhutto’s death appeared to have been a knock on her head as she tried to duck through a sun roof back into her vehicle, and not bullets or shrapnel.
A surgeon who treated her, Dr Mussadiq Khan, said earlier she may have died from a shrapnel wound.
But Ms Bhutto’s associates disputed the official account, saying the government was trying to abdicate its responsibility for her security.
“To hear that Ms Bhutto fell from an impact from a bump on a sun roof is absolutely rubbish. It is dangerous nonsense, because it implies there was no assassination attempt,” a spokeswoman for Ms Bhutto’s PPP party, Sherry Rehman, told the BBC.
**“There was a clear bullet wound at the back of the neck. It went in one direction and came out another… My entire car is coated with her blood, my clothes, everybody - so she did not concuss her head against the sun roof.” **
The interior ministry spokesman, Brig Cheema, insisted that all possible security arrangements had been put in place for Ms Bhutto, and that if she had stayed inside the vehicle she might have survived.

Conflicting versions The BBC’s security correspondent, Frank Gardner, says it is too early to establish the truth of how Benazir Bhutto died.
There have now been so many conflicting versions of who sent the assassin that it is hard for anyone to build up an accurate picture, our security correspondent says.
Both al-Qaeda and the Taleban are perfectly plausible culprits since they hated everything the secular Ms Bhutto stood for, he adds.
But critics of President Pervez Musharraf are unlikely to be convinced by his government’s insistence that it has proof al-Qaeda ordered the murder.
After a previous attempt on her life in October that killed 130 people, Ms Bhutto accused rogue elements of the Pakistani intelligence services of involvement.

Election boycott Ms Bhutto’s PPP party says it has still not decided whether to contest elections due on 8 January.
Opposition leader Nawaz Sharif said his party would boycott them.
The BBC’s Owen Bennett-Jones, at the Bhutto family home in Naudero, southern Pakistan, says that given the level of violence it seems surprising that the government is still planning elections for 10 days’ time.
But the authorities are saying they are consulting the political parties and it may well be that they are hoping to secure a consensus about a postponement before making any public announcement, our correspondent adds.
The election is meant to pave the way for a return to democratic rule, suspended in October 1999 when the then Gen Musharraf seized power through a coup.
In Washington, a US state department spokesman said the elections should go ahead on schedule if they could be held smoothly and safely. A spokesman for President Musharraf has said it is too early to decide.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government's account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

Maybe we can merge both threads to one...Mods please.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government’s account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

i am confused. did suicide bombing take place after gunshots or not? and if suicide bombings took place, which group has been responsible for the following?

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=32226

“RAWALPINDI: More than 600 hundred security personnel and 1300 civilians were killed in at least 28 suicide attacks conducted after Lal Masjid Opertion…”

and if sherry rehman is a legitimate source of information, then can we trust her claims that bb/zaradari were completely honest had never been involved in corruption?

and as far as al qaeda’s claims on not targetting women, which group in the tribal areas is targetting girls school?

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/s…litant_threats

"100 girls’ schools close in Pakistan after militant threats
By DPA

Oct 1, 2007, 12:44 GMT

Islamabad - More than 100 girls’ schools were closed down in north-west Pakistan Monday following the murder of a female teacher by suspected pro-Taliban militants in the tribal areas bordering Afghanistan, media reports said…"

the fact that pakistani media and people on this website would give credence to al qaeda statement is a good indication of how much pakistanis are out of touch with the rest of the global community. its for this reason that i feel pakistanis residing in western countries are a security threat and should be kept under observation.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government’s account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

**Another source: **
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/bhutto.death/index.html](http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/bhutto.death/index.html)

“It’s beginning to look like a cover up to me,” Rehman said in a CNN interview.

Bullet wounds to Bhutto’s head were apparent while body was bathed

VIDEO: Sherry Rehman talks to CNN
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/bhutto.death/index.html#cnnSTCVideo](http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/bhutto.death/index.html#cnnSTCVideo)

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government’s account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

conspiracy all right. report from pak press from before benazir landed in karachi:

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007%5C10%5C05%5Cstory_5-10-2007_pg1_6

ISLAMABAD: Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud has threatened suicide attacks against PPP Chairwoman Benazir Bhutto, saying his bombers are waiting in the wings to “welcome” her when she returns, FATA Senator Saleh Shah told Daily Times on Thursday. Shah is a close friend of Mehsud and is currently trying to broker a deal between the Mehsuds and the government to secure the release of around 250 abducted soldiers. “My men will welcome Bhutto on her return. We don’t accept President General Musharraf and Benazir Bhutto because they only protect the US interest and see things through its glasses. They’re only acceptable if they wear the Pakistani glasses,”

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government’s account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

great editorial from dailytimes on why pak press and jehadi supporters play up the conspiracy angle:

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/print.asp?page=2007%5C10%5C20%5Cstory_20-10-2007_pg3_1

…Disinformation was subconsciously planted a day earlier through a respectable journalist who reported on TV that his inquiries had turned up the following “facts”: (1) that no one really knew who exactly had sent the information to the press that Baitullah Mehsud had vowed to “train” dozens of suicide-bombers to kill Ms Bhutto as she arrived in Karachi; (2) that sources close to Baitullah Mehsud had told the journalist that no such threats were made by him; (3) that another person, a JUIF leader from the Tribal Areas, Senator Maulana Saleh Shah, who was supposed to have been instrumental in putting the threats in circulation, also denied that he had done so, pleading “out of context” misconstruction of his earlier statement. Under the circumstances, the following day the print media prominently carried the “news” that Baitullah Mehsud had made no threats on the life of Ms Bhutto.

…What has happened in Karachi brings out the collective “denial” of problem number one in Pakistan. The biggest political reductionism of our day is the false belief that “there is no terrorism in the Tribal Areas and that the Pakistan army is killing its own people under orders from the United States”. Indeed, most people deny that there is Al Qaeda in Waziristan and that there are any “foreign” terrorists located there. Religious leaders of the Tribal Areas have come on TV to swear that no “foreigners” were hiding in their region. The opposition politicians have simply used these clerical denials as evidence to counter the government’s claim that foreign elements ensconced in Waziristan were carrying out terrorism all over the country. And the opposition has been drawing the conclusion that once Pakistan declares its abandonment of the American “design”, all terrorism will quickly disappear. One must also say that some of the PPP leaders in the Senate have been saying the same thing in their anti-American passion. The “denial” in Pakistan is supposedly in the service of “democracy” whose absence is deemed to be the country’s “problem number one”. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government's account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

Forget the conspiracy thing. How can we trust a government that has such a poor track record when it comes to admitting some kind of responsibility for the numerous security lapses this year alone (May 12, October 18 and Dec. 27) and bringing to account murderous terrorists involved in such heinous crimes. Why have we not seen anyone convicted or arrested in connection with the previous killings esp. the deaths of 150 odd people on October 18 and Sherry even believes that that tragedy happened because of an electronically triggered device going off rather than suicide bombing. Atleast that should be thoroughly investigated by any responsible government. Why so many cover ups? I just want the real truth to emerge and someone held acountable for such crimes against humanity. Hence our deep-seated mistrust of Mush's (or any PAK government for that matter) regime.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government's account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

dude, makes no difference to me whether you believe sherry rehman or baitullah meshud. note that when brit-pakistani bombers blew themselves up in london underground, pakistanis at that time were also claiming that bombings could not be the work of amateurs.

all press reports indicate that the guy who fired the shots also blew himself up. prevailing global view is that al qaeda is responsible for suicide bombing and no amount of wailing by pakistanis on the internet is going to change prevailing view. you guys are however welcome to try.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government's account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

there are foreign elements in the country. I am not making any comment about BB's death because its all too confusing and the government is certainly trying to hush up the matter. Having said that, the presence of foreign nationals , Uzbeks and Chechniyans cannot be ruled out. Reports confirm that Chechniyans are in Swat.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government's account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

Dude you got me wrong. From the evidence presented thus far, Al-Qaeda terrorists seem the likely suspects but I just don't believe 'the no bullet wounds' part of the government story. To me it's nothing but codswallop, a desperate face-saving concoction of events. It is just so very hard to accept that a man shooting from point blank range (I mean if you watch the video carefully he had literally climbed over the left bonnet of her car and was firing from very close range) could have fired at BB three times and missed her completely. The fact that Sherry and others spotted bullet marks on BB's head while bathing her also casts serious doubts over government claims. I think her death could easily have resulted from a combination of all three - bullet +/- shrapnel and closed fracture. But whatever the exact cause of Benazir's death, it was still an assassination and the government failed badly in their duty to protect her.

Furthermore it still does not answer my earlier grievances about the government's abject failure to first provide enough security for the events (of May12, October 18 and December 27) and second catch the culprits responsible for the killings. These were all scheduled events and the government therefore has no tangible excuse for lapses in security.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government's account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

^^^ hamid karzai has the might of nato behind him and yet he almost never ventures out of kabul. aftab sherpao has been attacked twice - once while he was the interior minister. bb survived the first attack because a police mobile took the brunt of the blast and bb would have survived the second attack if she had not stuck her neck out. the assertion therefore that benazir was not provided adequate security is completely incorrect. govt had in fact warned her many times but yet she chose to disregard the advice and ended up paying the ultimate price. no govt cant prevent suicide bombing. the govt however provided bb with the means which would have insulated her from the blast had she followed govt instructions.

as far as suicide bombers not being arrested, that claim is completely incorrect as well. in most cases suicide bombers have been caught. while some mention of arrest is made in the english press, the electronic media completely disregards those reports mainly because media does not want to show to the awam that jehadis are behind suicide bombing. thats why awam supports bin laden but disapproves of suicide bombings. in the minds of awam, al qaeda does not do suicide bombings. pakistan is at war and unfortunately elctronic media and large sections of the awam is siding with the enemy.

Re: Sherry Rehman dismisses Government's account as dangerous, irresponsible nonsense

What crap the press conference denied this and said there were two independent ppl involved in the assassination, which makes you think that at least one gun man and a suicide bomber was on spot. Read news.