Peace deal for Najaf reached
August 26, 2004
BY ABDUL HUSSEIN AL-OBEIDI ASSOCIATED PRESS Advertisement
NAJAF, Iraq-- Rebel cleric Muqtada al-Sadr agreed Thursday to a peace deal presented by Iraq’s top Shiite cleric, who brought his enormous authority to bear in an attempt to end three weeks of fighting in the holy city of Najaf, a top al-Sistani aide said.
Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, the most influential cleric among Iraq’s Shiite majority, reached the deal in direct talks with al-Sadr in the evening, only hours after making a dramatic return to Najaf.
Aides have said that al-Sistani’s peace plan calls for Najaf and Kufa to be declared weapons-free cities, for all foreign forces to withdraw from Najaf and leave security to the police, and for the government to compensate those harmed by the fighting.
“Mr. Muqtada al-Sadr agreed to the initiative of his eminence al-Sistani,” said Hamed al-Khafaf, a top al-Sistani aide. “You will hear good news soon from the government and Mr. Muqtada al-Sadr.”
“It’s the same initiative that we had proposed … almost the same initiative has been agreed upon,” al-Khafaf said.
Thousands of Iraqis had flocked to Najaf in answer to al-Sistani’s call Wednesday for a peace march, but the Iraqi government’s police did not let them enter the holy city.
Late Thursday, al-Sistani asked the government to allow them in to visit the Imam Ali Shrine compound provided they leave by 10 a.m. Friday, al-Khafaf said. Al-Sadr’s Mahdi Army militia is still holding the shrine and has used it as a stronghold since fighting with U.S. forces began on Aug. 5.
U.S. and Iraqi troops and al-Sadr fighters called a cease-fire after al-Sistani’s arrival-- but the bloodshed that has torn apart the holy city continued right up until the grand ayatollah entered Najaf.
More than 90 people were killed in the preceding 24 hours, according to the Health Ministry-- including 27 people killed when mortars hit the main mosque in nearby Kufa, where thousands had gathered in preparation to march to Najaf in support of al-Sistani.
The U.S. military and Iraqi government have backed al-Sistani’s peace mission, but they have not said whether they would agree to his proposal’s provisions.
Al-Sadr has agreed to peace deals at least twice previously, but the agreements have fallen apart and fighting resumed.
But all sides appear to be hoping the immense authority of al-Sistani can keep a deal together. The 75-year-old al-Sistani, who has long refused to intervene directly in the standoff between al-Sadr and the United States, has much wider support among Iraq’s Shiites than al-Sadr, a much younger and lower-ranking cleric.
Al-Sistani was in London for medical treatment for most of the time since the fighting broke out Aug. 5. As he returned to Iraq, he called on his followers to march on Najaf for peace.
Al-Sistani arrived Thursday in a 30-vehicle convoy that drove in from Basra, cheered by thousands of supporters in towns along the way. Heeding al-Sistani’s calls, thousands more came from their hometowns to Najaf and gathered on its outskirts
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-iraq26.html
![]()
Huzzah! Good for Iraq! Congratulations!
Peace To All Who Read This…