Well, is Arafats’ body even cold yet? Finally some Palestinian leader has the common sense to state the Obvious truth. The elephant in the room has been exposed. For all the romanicizing of the Intifada as a shining example of Jihad, the Palestinains know that they grossly miscalculated. Quick, let me move to the Palestinain territiories so I can vote for this guy! Hopefully a new era of common sense and responsibility will infect the Palestinian leadership. The Palestinian people need it.
Abbas: Armed intifada was a mistake, ‘has got to stop’
By Haaretz Service and the Associated Press
The use of weapons in the four-year-long intifada was a mistake and should end, Palestinian Liberation Organization leader Mahmoud Abbas said in an interview the to the London-based Arabic newspaper Asharq al-Awsat published Tuesday.
Abbas said that Palestinians should resist the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza without resorting to violence.
It is important to “keep the uprising away from arms because the uprising is a legitimate right of the people to express their rejection of the occupation by popular and social means,” Abbas said.
“Using the weapons was harmful and has got to stop,” Abbas said, referring to shootings and bombings by Palestinian militants that have killed hundreds of Israelis since the outbreak of fighting in September 2000.
Abbas is the front-runner to replace Yasser Arafat in January 9 elections for Palestinian Authority chairman.
A pragmatist who opposes violence, Abbas has the support of Israel and the international community.
While Arafat was still alive, Abbas told associates in closed-door meetings that he felt the uprising was a mistake, but never went public with his ideas, apparently because he did not want to challenge Arafat.
At the time, polls also indicated that Palestinian militants enjoyed broad public support. However, after Arafat’s death, Abbas has been more candid about his views.
Israel has said violence must end before peace talks can resume.
On Monday, Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said that if the Palestinians work to quell the violence, Israel could coordinate its planned withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and four West Banks settlements with the new Palestinian leadership.
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon refused to negotiate with Arafat, accusing him of fomenting violence. Israel is keeping its distance from Abbas ahead of the election, not wanting to hurt his chances by portraying him as being close to the enemy.
Mofaz also said that if the Palestinians reorganize their security services Israel would be willing to give them control over large areas of Gaza and parts of the West Bank before the pullout.
But Abbas said that currently Palestinian security is in a state of chaos.
“Frankly, the Palestinian [security] apparatus needs discipline. There is security chaos, that’s why were demanding and are seeking to unify the security apparatus,” Abbas told Asharq al-Awsat.
Abbas also said he was in talks with the militant Islamic groups, Hamas and Islamic Jihad, to bring them into the framework of the PLO, an umbrella group for Palestinian parties.
Meanwhile, Hamas political leader Khaled Mashal said Tuesday that Hamas would end its attacks on Israeli targets only with Palestinian consensus.
Abbas’ efforts to persuade the militants to halt attacks on Israelis in the run-up to the vote suffered a setback Sunday when Hamas and a Fatah offshoot dug a tunnel under an Israeli post on the Gaza-Egypt border, blowing it up and killing five Israeli soldiers.
Militants in Gaza have also fired repeated barrages of rockets and mortars at settlements in the last week.
Israel’s response has been muted. The military apparently fears that a large-scale operation could jeopardize the Palestinian elections, with the blame laid at Israel’s door.
Israel has continued targeting militants with smaller raids and military officials said Tuesday that Mofaz ordered the army to step up its targeted attacks against Palestinians responsible for digging the tunnels, which are also used to smuggle weapons into Gaza.