NY Times says it fell for Iraq misinformation

Even the “respected” newspapers now acknowledging that they printed untrue stories about the WMD’s.

NY Times says it fell for Iraq misinformation](http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040526/325/eukuq.html)

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The New York Times has acknowledged it failed to adequately challenge information from Iraqi exiles who were determined to show Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and overthrow him.

In an unusual note from the editors, “The Times and Iraq”, the newspaper said it found a number of instances before the March 2003 U.S. and British invasion of Iraq and early in the occupation, of “coverage that was not as rigorous as it should have been”.

The note said editors “should have been challenging reporters and pressing for more scepticism”.

The Bush administration also has been faulted for relying on inaccurate or incomplete intelligence in asserting Saddam had an ongoing weapons programme, a primary reason cited for the U.S.-led war in Iraq. No significant biological, chemical or nuclear weapons have been found.

Wednesday’s Times said it had relied on Iraqi exile Ahmad Chalabi, once considered Washington’s top Iraq ally. Until last week Chalabi was paid by the United States for intelligence information that has proven to be faulty in many cases.

Chalabi was an “occasional source” in its articles since at least 1991 and introduced reporters to other exiles, the newspaper said.

“Complicating matters for journalists, the accounts of these exiles were often eagerly confirmed by United States officials convinced of the need to intervene in Iraq,” the note said. "Administration officials now acknowledge that they sometimes fell for misinformation from these exile sources.

“So did many news organisations – in particular, this one,” the note said.

While the newspaper assigned no blame to individual reporters, a good deal of criticism has been directed at Times reporter Judith Miller, who wrote several articles about Iraq’s purported weapons of mass destruction.

Media critics, led by Slate columnist Jack Shafer, have urged the newspaper to admit its errors as time passed and no weapons were found.

The editors’ note cited five stories – including several that appeared on page one – written between 2001 and 2003 that had accounts of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons in Iraq that have never been independently verified or were discredited by its own reporters or reporters at another news organisation.

STORY ‘UNFINISHED’

The Times, one of the leading daily newspapers in the United States, said the story of Iraq’s purported weapons “and the pattern of misinformation” was unfinished.

“And we fully intend to continue aggressive reporting aimed at setting the record straight,” the note concluded.

A Times spokeswoman said Executive Editor Bill Keller had no further comment.

One media academic said the newspaper appeared to have been caught “in a perfect storm” created by the wishes of the Iraqi exiles and the administration of President George W. Bush.

“It was formed by the congruence of a group of Iraqis who wanted regime change and the Bush administration that wanted regime change,” said David Rubin, dean of Newhouse School of public communications at Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York.

“The two worked together in an area where the press has a hard time working in, where they are dependent on national security sources, constrained to name them or checking on them,” Rubin said.

The newspaper’s ombudsman, Dan Okrent, said he was not involved in the editors’ review but would write in Sunday’s edition about his own separate examination.

“I’m glad the paper did it,” Okrent added.

The ombudsman said the circumstances were different from last year’s scandal involving reporter Jayson Blair, who was fired for fabricating and plagiarising material.

“The coverage was not by one reporter,” Okrent said.

The New York Times’ top two editors, Howell Raines and Gerald Boyd, left the paper last June after the disclosure.

Naughty people, oh well they made a mistake; they just fuelled a fire in the ignorant masses and helped in their way to ensure 11000+ innocents were murdered.

Slap on the wrist and don’t do it again.

Don't forget to add that Saddam was removed from power as well.

The editors' note cited five stories -- including several that appeared on page one -- written between 2001 and 2003 that had accounts of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons in Iraq that have never been independently verified or were discredited by its own reporters or reporters at another news organisation.

I wonder how many "shock and awe" champions believed all these stories, and still do?

Let us not forget the war based on lies has led to 12,000 Iraqi's being slaughtered by the US military.

Underthedome,

I see you're trawling that old line out again, so I'll say again why leave the following dictators in power a fund them to the hilt, until popular uprisings got rid of them?

Suharto - Indonesia

Nicolae Ceausescu - Romania

Ferdinand Edralin Marcos - Philippines

Jean Claude 'Baby Doc' Duvalier - Haiti

Joseph Désiré Mobuto Sese Seko – Zaire

Why were the Iraqi people so special that you gave a sh*t?

Quick run run!

I've already explained why a free Iraq is in the best interest of the United States.

You’re already running :hehe:

Suharto Indonesia

Nicolae Ceausescu - Romania

Ferdinand Edralin Marcos - Philippines

Jean Claude ‘Baby Doc’ Duvalier-Haiti

Joseph Désiré Mobuto Sese Seko – Zaire

All pals, all brutal dictators, all US funded, ‘all American’ fun.

Hey you forgot Mushy!! :smash: but guys like him are good bachchas and as long as they toe the line..no danda..be they suharto, or gaddafi..America First! :jhanda:

btw

Headline News: An American Newspaper Misinformed the Already Ignorant US Masses

:hehe: puhleeez.

Like hello…and?

Why did the Jew media publish all those photos of the Iraqi abuse? Is there a conspiracy theory on how this happened?

Dunno ask the 'Jewish' media, it does make for a good get out reason though doesn't it.

So tell me why these supported:

Suharto Indonesia

Nicolae Ceausescu - Romania

Ferdinand Edralin Marcos - Philippines

Jean Claude 'Baby Doc' Duvalier-Haiti

Joseph Désiré Mobuto Sese Seko – Zaire

And not others, I just named the ones that killed over 100 000 of their own people with US funding, there are numerous others.

Run run.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by underthedome: *
Why did the Jew media publish all those photos of the Iraqi abuse? Is there a conspiracy theory on how this happened?
[/QUOTE]

i'll offer you one..

just prior to the scandal being unveiled the military had started getting very vocal in their criticism of the administration's lack of planning and were even questioning the purpose of their stay.. they are overextended, under supplied and morale is at it's lowest.. Several studies and reports started emerging that the whole war was a farce and the military was misled.

Well there are ways to 'silence' the military or warn them that their credibility can be destroyed easily.. enter the prison scandals.. played over and over and over again distracting from the real questions on why we're there in the first place and why after over a year Iraq now poses more danger to US than it ever did in it's entire history.

I believe the Vietnam war had it's own share of such military excesses etc to keep the guys obedient to the politicians..

as for NYT.. i mean seriously.. with all the making up of stories and in-bed reporters channeling press releases as journalism.. who reads the corporate media anymore?

Oh so that means everything is alright then! Give us a break

The western media is as reliable as the western Goverments full of lies and deception!