Md. Asghar

While grewing up in India ,I noticed that lot of people who had their name starting with Muhammad will us ‘Md’ while writing their name. The way it was written, it sounded more like salutation like Mr., Mrs, Dr not ike a name. So Muhammad Asghar would be Md. Asghar. I thought it was unusual. Whenever they said Md. Asghar people never took it as M.D.Asghar.They always understood Muhammad Asghar.

Did you guys noticed this unusual way of writing name in Pakistan too. Other name that has this unusual treatment was Choudhury which was abbreviated as ‘Ch.’.

Re: Md. Asghar

They use M.B.B.S. in pakistan & india for a local medical graduate.
Titles like M.D., M.B.B.S., F.R.C., F.R.C.S., Ph.D, etc are always added at the end of the name, never in the beginning.
M.D is never written as Md.

So if he was a doctor, he would write "Asghar, M.D"

Re: Md. Asghar

I dodnot mean M.D as doctor wala M.D.

I was just thinking why didnot they write M.Asghar than Md.Asghar.
It was special treatment for name starting with Muhammad.
Muhammad Asghar was written as Md. Asghar
Maqbool Asghar as M. Asghar

Re: Md. Asghar

They can write it as "Md. Asghar" but they have to pronounce "Muhammad ashgar"just like you can write "St. Paul" but you pronounce it "Saint Paul".

In Pakistan they might write Md. Asghar but they would pronounce it Muhammad Asghar. I don't think that it is something very common in pakistan.