Maoist rebels massacre 18 people in India's Jharkand state, incl ex-CM's son

What a horrible terrorist attack, which shows what a menace these people are to India.

Maoists kill 18 in Jharkhand attack

RANCHI: At least 18 people, including a former chief minister’s son, were killed overnight when Maoist rebels opened fire on a group of football spectators in eastern India, a police official said yesterday. Between 30 and 40 heavily armed rebels stormed a village in Jharkhand around midnight and opened fire on about 150 people gathered there after a match to watch a local cultural performance, police said. “Seventeen persons have been killed in the attack,” district police superintendent Arun Kumar Singh said.

One man died later of a bullet wound, taking the toll to 18, police said, adding that a three-year-old was among the three remaining wounded. “Intensive combing operations are going on,” Singh said, adding that the border with Bihar, the state to the north, had been sealed to prevent rebels from fleeing there.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=181090&version=1&template_id=40&parent_id=22

Re: Maoist rebels massacre 18 people in India’s Jharkand state, incl ex-CM’s son

Maoists kill 5 cops in Chhattisgarh

RAIPUR: Close on the heels of the Maoists’ onslaught in Jharkhand, about 200 CPI(Maoist) rebels on Monday went on rampage in neighbouring Chhattisgarh, killing five special police officers and injuring three. The Maoists fired indiscriminately on the security forces near Basaaguda village in Bijapur district of Bastar region.

Bastar IG R K Vij told TOI, “The incident took place when a police team, including 16 SPOs and four constables, was going to Gangaloor where road construction was being carried out. When the team reached near the village, the Maoists opened fire at them, killing five SPOs and injuring three.”
Vij said the three injured security personnel were admitted to a Bijapur hospital. “The condition of one of the injured, Robin Singh, is critical and he will be shifted to a hospital in Raipur soon,” he said.

The SPOs killed in the attack have been identified by cops as Manoj Kuriam, Ratiram Kuriam, Aayatoo, Tisra Kopa, Virish Kas and Hariram. The SPOs, mostly tribal youths, are recruited to help security forces in anti-Maoist operations on a monthly salary of Rs 1,500.

Additional security forces have been rushed to the spot and search operations have already begun in the area, police said. The Maoists have stepped up violence in the Bastar region from June 2005 after the locals launched ‘salwa judum’, a movement against the ultra-Left rebels.