I don’t think religion has anything at all to do with it. It’s not practicing of deen that prevents one from education. It’s not practicing deen that prevents one from being at the top in your profession. I’ve seen people who pray, fast and are particular about all their deeni duties and yet are still at the top even in terms of duniya. Maybe somewhere there isn’t enough emphasis on excelling in education or your profession, but practicing/being concerned about deen isn’t a significant factor in it. For people who don’t practice deen, there are all kinds of idle passtimes that people are into.
I don’t think this is true at all. When I went to Pakistan, I saw that the majority of the people don’t even make salaat. Even when their shop is just in front of the masjid and they hear azan and all. On the other hand, in Canada where I live, people will travel 1-2 km or even more to make their salaat in the masjid. Even for Fajr, we have people coming regularly who need to drive 4-5km to get here. That doesn’t stop anyone from doing well in their profession.
The TJs are making an effort to bring deen back their own lives and to encourage others to do the same. So obviously their main focus isn’t going to be about education, economy or any of those things during their main programs. Just like you wouldn’t expect a professor in a university to tell you to make your 5 times salaat, especially during their lecture.
Although from what I’ve seen here, TJ’s do encourage everyone to do well in school, and they do talk about being honest in your work. In my masjid, they even take out their own time to tutor the youngsters who spend time with them. Most of them here are university educated or a on their way to being.