wow… good stuff man… what was your reasoning for moving to cash in Q1 2008? regardless good call.. especially the Wells Fargo. Buffett is still apparently buying it…
through the last half of 08 and throughout 09, I just played in small illiquid arb type stuff… and found some names that I could arb over and over again. then the market melted down and the bids disappeared on those names. I remember there was a retractable preferred share where you could get 25 bucks by putting it back to the issuer. and around October, etc it was trading at less than 24 bucks. you could make an easy 4% every month just by buying that thing and putting it back to the issuer. there was some other interesting little things going on just like that.
2009 was a good year but I’m sad that those opportunities look like they’re all gone now or the spreads are much tighter. and because I was doing this stuff, I didn’t have any money to invest long-term in the market and missed the entire run up. and now, I’m hesitant to put anything in. guess I’m pretty doubtful of this magical recovery. as far as I can see people are still piling on debt like there’s no tomorrow which is what got us into trouble in the first place.