How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

I see people have a username and password..how did they do that?
Also how do I use my phpmyadmin?
Also how to use SMF(Simple Machines) a forum site to be built in with my website? Or PHBB?
******

Re: How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

**if you have server address, username/password of database … then i’ll recommend using SQLyog as front end for your databases ..

b/w … ur questions are kinda ambiguous … you shud be more specific**
****“I see people have a username and password..how did they do that?”
Every one has username password … even you have 1 … thts how u login to paklinks


Re: How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

Are you talking about WAMP ? and Installing phpBB with it ?

What is WAMP?
And I’m trying to install phpBB on webs…

What I meant about the user name and password was I don’t know how to link the login to my website(for people to sign in or register) when you click it goes nowhere.

I got an error in mysql, something about my firewall. I disabled Norton and Firewall..nothing.
Error Nr2003
Error 10061 mysql unable to connect to server local host

Re: How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

Install Wamp on your machine so you can actually know how this thing works . Here is the link Install PHP 5 Apache MySQL on Windows : WampServer .

It is a combination of

  1. Apache (web server )
  2. MySQL (Database)
  3. PHP (Server side scripting)

for windows . Once you install it and learn how a web server works with PHP and MySQL then install phpBB . Here is the link for it phpBB • Creating Communities Worldwide

Re: How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

Once you do the installation of WAMP (as Namaan explained) all those components work with each other. So for the firewalls you only need the regular port 80 open.
On the other hand if you install the components separately you may need different settings.

Why don’t you spell out what exactly it is that you are trying to do and you’d get a step by step direction.

Wait till confused gets his hand on this thread :slight_smile:

Thanks NaMaan, I’m going to try that tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Well it’s hard to explain.

I’m making a site and you know where on other sites it says login here? Well I have that but when you click register or login there is an error. What I’m trying to do it get members to sign up or register to my site.

I hope that made some since; I tend to suck at explaining.

Re: How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

**here is what I think happened ..

You downloaded a forum package phpBB .. and somehow manage to run it (my best guess is that you have uploaded entire package on some web hosting and running it online)
but you haven’t configured database settings on ur site yet ?

**

Bro these are nitty gritty details of programming that you can’t ignore . I suggest that you must understand

  1. PHP connectivity with Database
  2. How web servers work ?
  3. Running SQL queries

Yeah about right.

Okay; I guess I should learn some more.******

Re: How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

**first of all you need to setup php setup on ur computer …
as Namaan has suggested,
Here are the following things you might need

  1. WAMP server (to run php, mysql etc)
  2. SQLYog (front end to access database)
  3. IDE (some software where you can actually code … I use programmers notepad, but i wont recommend it to any beginner, you can install dreamweaver)

These are basic things to start a project in php
**

Re: How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

^ My pick for 2 & 3 is

  1. MySQL Administrator (FREE)
  2. NetBeans IDE (FREE)

Thanks!

Thanks:)
I have dreamweaver and notepad ++.
I finally was able to run php and mysql. I think NaMaan sent me a link to IDE; I’m going to check that out. And, SQLyog does that cost money?

Re: How do you use mysql and phpmyadmin?

You helped me a lot, thank you. I finally got it!!:]
I have SMF instead of phpbb which is pretty nice. The only thing that sucks is that freewebs does not support PHP…I think I might have found a way around it though, but I’m not sure.
Anyway thanks again you guys.

I still have to check that other stuff you guys recommended; see how that goes.