How do you guys...

… clean your laptops/keyboards??? :konfused:

How do you get in between the keys?? My laptop is 2 yrs old now and I see some dirt building up in the hard-to-reach areas… how do I clean it out?

I used to work in a retail store aaages ago and they used to have this really kool machine to clean out their checkout registers… I can’t rememeber what its called, I just remember it used to be really really realllyyy freeezing cold and when u pressed the button, a gush of air used to come out and clean the entire checkout register (it wasn’t a vacuum), even from the hard-to-reach-places.

Now I’m obviously not gonna buy that machine (even if I knew what it was called) so can u guys suggest some of ur ideas?

And remember… there’s no such thing as a stupid question :snooty:

Re: How do you guys…

Yes there are stupid people in this world and there are stupid questions too. :snooty:

People ask stupid questions even in these forums. :halo:

Now since I feel good after saying that let us get to answering your smart question. :smiley:
Buy a feather duster and keep and use it every day. I have this ball pen cum feather duster at work and use it daily before starting my work. It keeps my keyboard and screen free of dust.
But you are right over time the gunk can build up on keys and between keys. You can use those wet wipes which are sold at all stationary/office supplies stores for cleaning computer screen and key boards.

sounds like you’re talking about compressed air… you can buy a can of compressed air for like $2.00 and use it to give your keyboard a quick clean.

I also recommend rubbing alcohol and qtips to clean around the keys individually.

Re: How do you guys…

And a cheap solution is sticky/post-it.

Bend it in half with sticking side out. use that as a jharoo under keys.
Use few stickys if needed.

Re: How do you guys…

^ :hehe: desi totka…

:rotfl: you are a genius :k:

and

Cheap . :smiley:

Re: How do you guys…

ab mujhy sharam aa rahi hy :blush:

Thank you Mirch and Lucid for ur replies.

Jimmy I’ve already used the sticky idea :cb: I used to do that at work when I was on my internship! Great minds think alike Hi 5 :snooty:

Mirch I will try your feather idea first and then I’ll move onto Lucid’s solution of compressed gas.

What to do… I am a student and I am broke!

Re: How do you guys…

The laptop keys just pop up . So pop up all the keys and use a tooth brush and clean up your keyboard .

Na’ uhh NaMaaannn :nahi: I ain’t doing that

Re: How do you guys…

Here you go . If I can do it , you can do it too :snooty:

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/computer-information-technology/374960-how-clean-your-laptops-keyboard.html

:eek: I would be reallyyy scared to disassemble my iklota laptop like that…

And I hate it when my thread matches another one on GS :naraz: I joined GS too late, every question has been asked on this site already!

I might give it a go Namaan…

Re: How do you guys…

:k:

Re: How do you guys…

No no, dont remove the keys, SPACE and ALT keys are very hard to remove and if you break and small part, you will not be able to put it back.

easier way is to remove the whole keyboard from laptop and literally soak it in warm soapy water for an hour and then rinse it and then leave it to air dry for at least 48 hours. It sounds more risky than it is. I’ve done it myself.

Dudes itni scary suggestions!! :nahi: I’ll try the feather first.

Thanks a lot though, I’m not being mean to your suggestions, I just don’t trust myself, I *will *break something!

What about putting the key board in the washing machine or dishwasher that way she can kill two birds with one stone. :smiley:

Re: How do you guys…

You think I was joking, I was serious about the suggestion. :smiley:

I know , it can be done , but people will be scared to do that unless you demonstrate it to them. Many a times some electronic gadget will get drowned in water , I tell the owner to take it out of water , take the battery out and dry it up for few days and viola it will work.
The other day my son’s memory stick got washed in the washing machine , I told him to let it dry out and viola it worked and he was happy.:slight_smile:

^ hahahaha … :k: good for him!

I protect my memory stick like a baby! I won’t graduate if I lose it!! Got alll my work in there…

Re: How do you guys…

You have to uninstall the keyboard off the laptop. Make sure the ribbon that the open end of the ribbon wire dont touch the water and you need to be very gentle when submerged the keyboard into the water. But its doable.