Ghalib : Question please help

hi folks…does anyone know they have 'Deweena(sp)Ghalib translated in English..i have friend who is interested in reading his works…any help would be great…thanks

i have 37 ghalib ghazals in english translation if u wana tou hum send kar dain gay..


~~~~*
"If you belong to Allah, rest assured that Allah will indeed belong to you"
"Dream as if u live forever live as if u will die today"
"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up."
~~~~*

naiki or pooch pooch .....
aray janab hum intezar main baithay hain
jaldi sey send kejiye
ghalib k to hum deewanay hain ....
i will b thankful for that .

Shaam-e-Firaq...that would be so great if you could send them...

heart...dude i don't speak urdu so care to translate....

peace


I'm not a playa, I just crush a lot.

here it is:)

Ghazal 1

The world is nothing but the birth of the beloved
without desire to see herself we ourselves would not exist

Each instant sings a song about living god knows why
absurd and meaningless awareness of insanity and wisdom

Claiming knowledge is wrong and gain through worship impossible
our world and our faith are the dregs of unknowing

Wherever the beloved has walked and shown us
the dust of her footprints are all we can hold

We have named the beloved and know we are loved
the back of heaven is bent to greet us

ghazal 2

It's a little hard for things to be easy
when even a man can’t act like a man

What stupidity makes me so dependent on her that an hour early
I run off to see her and get annoyed when she's not there

My lover is so striking she demands to be seen
the mirror reflects what it can then widens its eye

I have taken to grave the deep scar of happiness
while she stands above in her hundred colors

She promised not to torment me only after killing me
repenting now this woman so quick to repent

Ghazal 3

In the baseness of desire remember
her who has entranced our every sight

Life could have passed on but no
we remember always where the beloved has walked

Those streets are in my thoughts again
where I first lost my heart too young to recall

What sudden madness a lover's madness is
in the air of the desert I remember my home

As a boy I almost threw stones at that crazed lover
trapped always in desire but at last I remembered
Ghazal 4

Leaving I bear the scars of an unfulfilled longing to exist
like an extinguished candle I know no place of friendship

In unity of senses the door of the mirror has opened
the perfect and imperfect are lost within

Pursuit has unraveled the strings of beauty's veil
leaving nothing but threads for those who can see

In my heart the longing to love just one has fallen
by knowing no reward but the longing for one

I am not a coward of love but I know
this heart once full of pride has cowered
Ghazal 5

The joy of the drop is to die in the river
when pain is cureless pain is lost

Our weakness has weakened even our tears
desperate and hoping this water is air

Spring clear after heavy rains it seems the cloud
has wept and died in its grief completely

To understand the wonder of an air that cleans
see how moss on the mirror grows in spring

The rose is budding a desire for its witness
her color and shape are silent but listen

Ghazal 6

Garden of paradise the priest holds precious
flowers in the vase to the vital and carnal

In the mosaic of mirrors your appearance has caused
a mapping of sunbeams through this world of dew

Hidden in what I build is the shape of decay
in the blood of the farmer is always revolt

Thousands of longings are hidden by silence
I am words worn from the stone of a child

We know that death has come and death will go
that is the sum of this world's many faces

Ghazal 7

We never had the chance to meet our beloved
however long we lived we would live in longing

If we had lived for the promise of heaven we didn’t believe
had we we would have died in the joy of its word

Imagine what you think of as grief were a spark
from the vein of the stone would flow life’s blood

Who has seen the single face of the beloved
if one of us glimpsed her shadow she unravels

With questions of faith and thirsting ideals
they might call me a priest if I wasn’t a drunk
Ghazal 8

It’s time for the world to hear Ghalib again
may these words and shadows like doors stay open

Night of the watered face of stars has dawned
ordered and scattered like flowers where beauty sleeps

She is talking and talking who knows my desire
at least already her lips have opened

Why is grief an element of night when everything falls
when open eyes of stars look only to other faces

Tell me how I am happy this ocean from home
when mail from my beloved is already opened

Ghazal 9

Even in prayer we are so by ourselves if the gates themselves closed
we would only return in silence to the flames

You who are beloved have no one to compare to
even your likeness reflecting in glass could never face you

A complaint caught in the throat marks the heart
the joy of the drop is caught by the dust

If your story doesn’t break each eyelash with blood
the story is not one of love but of romance

A man who can’t name the ocean by its drop
has an eye that is blind a heart that is shut

Ghazal 10

I saw the blaze in a friend but avoided flame
I burn only when seeing my own power to see

Don’t call me a fire-lover like all of the others
when I fight I cause fires too busy to tend

Many have tested themselves on the neck of wine’s vessel
as she walks the waves of wine tremble

We have sold ourselves along with our poems
but not anyone can purchase these things

The illuminating light was not meant for Mount Sinai
good wine should be poured to a glass that can hold it

Ghazal 11

You should have waited a little longer
you left alone so stay alone longer

We’ll meet you said the next day such as this
as if days like this occur more than once

You were for this house the moon of all skies
light of our evenings fallen from cycle

You hated me your wife was too distant
and you left before your children were grown

Fools they are who ask why Ghalib still lives
his fate is to live in hunger of death

Ghazal 12

Not the blossom of song not the veil of music
I am the sound of my own breaking

You toy with the length of your dark curls
I am captive to my own dark thoughts

We brag to ourselves that we are different
this weakness has burdened our simple grief

Now you have come and I find myself bowing
this blessing a sadness this prayer a longing

I am a fragment sounding the dawn
you are the walls of my every echo

Ghazal 13

No meetings no leavings
no days nights no years

Who has time to deal with love
no more delight in beauty’s witness

Love is every imagined beloved
no more such graceless thinking

Weeping blood is not so easy
I have no strength no stable heart

My loving arms have turned feeble
no balance of elements in this world

Ghazal 14

Wings are like dust for the winds to carry
otherwise feathers would be impatient and strengthless

What basic beauty approaches like this
not even dust on her path only shadows of flowers

Those who are drunk have seen a flower’s shadow
else there would be nothing not even dust in the taverns

I have been humbled by these explosions of love
in this room not even dust just desire to construct

Now these words are I know are a simple pastime
not even dust could be gained by writing

Ghazal 15

Those faces of death I see sometimes
in the rose and tulip but only a few

Daughters of the sun behind that sweeping dress
what were you thinking coming naked to the night

He is the one for whom sleep has widened
on whose arm your hair is lying

We made breaking the pattern a pattern of living
when friends kept dying faith overtook us

I have wept for all I have seen I am young
these cities should sleep in the dust of desires

Ghazal 16

Why having given my heart should I speak
if there is no heart why do words continue

She won't give up her habit why give up mine
why be humble and ask why so upset

The one who shares my grief should burn
how could one without grief be a friend

I'm in the cage so tell me the story of love
that home burnt by lightning why must it be mine

This heartache is enough to destroy a house
if you were my lover the lightning is needless

Ghazal 17

Like a child or flower that shares a sorrow
you bowed to the lightlessness of my grief

Love is a secret for you not secret enough
wearing a veil of dust to silence them all

Promises from the center of love are now under dust
your friendship even the nature of love under dust

An ear that hears nothing an eye that sees nothing
a heart that is now a heart that bleeds nothing

This love my love had not yet become madness
under dust also my yearning for infamy

Ghazal 18

Come here I am suddenly restless for you
I am a coward impatient with waiting

The trade-off is paradise for my life in this world
but drunkenness never cures the hangover

Through a veil of tears I abandoned your party
like a child I’m unable to silence my weeping

My shudderings of thought no longer give joy
without flower blossoms the spring has no name

I have sworn myself off drinking again
but I’m known to break such resolutions

Ghazal 19

At every step I am closer only to knowing the distance
as fast as I run the desert runs on

The moon is loneliness and churning flames
a shadow facing the rising smoke

My blisters have bled across the desert
my path is lit like pearls on skin

Because of you the bottle reflects every color
I am the one who has tasted each one

From my eye a fire bleeds what it has seen
the earth and dry leaves of the garden are lit

Ghazal 20

Whose shadowed face have I captured like this
I study the mirror that studies my face

The world is smaller than anything
every speck like a whole mist of longing

The dew sheds its tears on the flower branch
spring has departed but the robin is ready

Do not go faceless to the valley of lovers
behind each atom of dust lies an impatient heart

Robin spare me a fist of your sticks for a nest
there is also the storm of the coming of spring

Ghazal 21

The dew on red petals is not without meaning
the spot on her heart where shame has passed

Dove is a handful of ash the nightingale a prison of color
to these the scar of a burnt heart is nothing

The fire itself could not do what lust for fire has
the heart has suffered waiting and fading

The claim to be love's prisoner is a consequence of constraint
only a hand trapped by stone can promise its faithfulness

Sun of our world illuminate us now
like a shadow a strange time has come upon us

Ghazal 22

Red tulip red rose the colors are different
but in every color the spring has flowered

I learned to write beautifully to meet the beloved
each word I speak a desire for loving

What sort of drunk is drinking for fun
I need to forget each day each night

Drinking should end with your head in a toilet
Such penitent kneeling is perfect for prayer

You should always be drunk that too is wisdom
the self holds a cabinet for every liquor

Ghazal 23

Not a love this but madness
let my madness ruin you

Don’t cut me off completely
if you hate me that’s better than nothing

Life passes an interval of suffering
it leaves us wanting

I’m too humble maybe too shy maybe
or disregarding men may be your way

This foolish game let it last a while
the love we mime may never speak

Ghazal 24

Funny or sad how I envy myself
I have seen the beloved but no one can bear it

If love burns more than the heart avoid love
even wine melts the bottle I hide in

How can she hope to forbid us from our ways
she is shamed by us and shamed by madness

I’m complaining at every pause I am hopeless
if I stop complaining the complaints overtake me

My soul is on fire who can stay near me
my shadow pours from me like smoke

Ghazal 25

If she ever decides to show me kindness
she remembers our past and shies away

She angers quickly I love her madly
but I’ll keep these thoughts brief as love

She will never trust me when I am weak
the question she can’t ask I can’t answer

This love a despair I fight to contain
but even the thread of my thoughts has loosened

There is no church where she appears
it’s unbearable to imagine eyes upon her

Ghazal 26

It’s been a while since I’ve had a lover
a while since evenings were lightened by drinking

Again I am breathing in anger exhaling sparks
a long way from illumination

The heart hates what the eye tells it in all but love
where the beloved is seen as clearly as dreamed

Her balcony is empty I’m caged in memory
where in wind her hair veils her careless face

I miss the days and nights of nothing as before
when I would think of nothing and nothing else but her

Ghazal 27

Because of my madness I am worthless to others
the more I became the less I became

A snare was set at the edge of my nest
I had not yet flown and was captive

No longer ask about those seekers of love
time has illuminated their bodies of grief

I kept writing the blood of my madness
although my hands were lost in the writing

Even now begging I’ve kept to my ways
a lover I follow the smiles of the penniless

Ghazal 28

Desire is like chess and you are its pawn
willing to eat and drink and obliterate

The barmaid in her beauty unravels understanding
music is drowning good sense and awareness

At once at night in each corner of the tavern
the blossoms of beauty fall from the sun

But come in the morning this place of desire
when perfume has faded to the sun-covered floor

Burnt in grief from the night’s broken lightness
a candle stands flameless throughout the days

Ghazal 29

Gone are the shots of drunken nights
unable to find joy in sleeping past noon

I am dust infamous on my beloved’s street
no longer a bird unwilling to fly

Her footprints are welcome captors of tides
the wave of her walking pulls blossoms behind her

Every man bearing lust now names beauty his guide
the way of the lover has shadowed the dawn

My eyes have formed a veil for the beloved
they scatter like children around her shadow

Ghazal 30

Like shadows the pine and cypress would walk
if you came to the orchard standing straight through the heart

Should I be proud to have loved when now I am breaking
these tears are the remnants of a loving heart

If commanded by those hypnotic eyes
even the mirror will parrot the words

All the secrets of my heart have caught fire
a flame always burning until it is spoken

You should hold as the tempered steel of Ghalib
any verse that falls like fire to the page

Ghazal 31

Flame has no power and lightning no grace
what else could be so tempered and willful

The heart has burned where the body has burned
what do you seek in these ashes

Blood is not blood for only the veins
if tears don’t bleed the heart has failed

Paradise is paradise for just one thing
the wine of all wines the beloved carries

I know the king I walk around bragging
a fool unloved by the heart of the city

Ghazal 32

She walks an arrow shot from tightness
yet men have fought to rest with her

Every word she wants to cut my tongue
as if she alone should speak aloud

What the hell am I talking about here
I hope to god no one understands it

An immortal led mortals to believe they were too
if no god can help us who then will guide us

Only at the end of all expectations
can one love all love

Ghazal 33

Around your friends I have no shame I am no one
though fingers point at me I keep sitting

For wine I sell my clothes I sell my prayer rug
a long time since I drank with any joy

If it was my place I would ask this earth
what have you done with all of life’s sweetness

She must have learned this from her friends
giving herself to any man that desires

She is stubborn it’s true but I think she’s kind
even in forgetting she keeps her promise

Ghazal 34

He holds your letter so openly
If someone asks he’ll have to say it

Although she is kind her elegance is such
that I would fear to touch her within my arms

Death is certain whether you wait or not
and love if you don’t come I can’t bring you

Who can say whose vision is this
with a curtain between us that can’t be lifted

I have no power over love on fire
I cannot light I cannot extinguish

Ghazal 35

Even he has given his heart to her
though now your rival he carries your notes

It will not come today she is sure it will come
I cannot speak the words I have for death

She asks how I am only in public
where I can't say anything I mean

When I ask she calls me mad why argue
I've no interest in her answers anyway

Someone has said that I’m not bad but
except that I'm mad what else can you say

Ghazal 36

This world is a playground
a spectacle unfolds day and night

A child outside is the throne of Solomon
an ordinary thing the miracle of the Messiah

Then you should see the flow of conversation
let someone place the bottle before me

Faith stops me if impiety pulls
holy land behind me the church before me

Though the hands can't move the eyes have life
Allow the bottle to stay before me

Ghazal 37

There are a thousand desires a lifetime for each
many were filled but not nearly enough

We know of Adam forced from primal paradise
I was more disgraced to leave your home

Drinking has been bound to my name in this time
again a round when the grail should appear

Whenever I expect someone to appreciate my weakness
I am left more wounded by the sword of cruelties

Preacher for God's sake leave alone the curtain of heaven
maybe the same unbelieving idol appears there as well


~~~~*
"If you belong to Allah, rest assured that Allah will indeed belong to you"
"Dream as if u live forever live as if u will die today"
"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up."
~~~~*

Asado, there are millions of english translations of ghalib out there. Check www.amazon.com or www.indiaclub.com.