I know guys get a bad rap for dragging their feet when it comes to actually making a commitment - they want to enjoy their days as a single individual and will put off settling into a relationship for as long as possible. I’m not sure that it necessarily applies as much to our Muslim boys just because the only way for them to halalify their relationship is to actually get married.
As a gal my reasons for prolonging my days a single person are different. I keep saying no to potential rishtas and my mum is now beside herself. She can’t understand why I won’t say yes when the guy(s) appears eligible on paper. We finally discussed it and I admitted that I’m terrified of saying yes and marrying the wrong guy. I don’t know how to convince myself to give the guy a chance and to put my heart on the line.
In an arranged marriage setting where the love comes after marriage, what if I never love him and forget about love, what if I never like him? Then I wonder, is it better to be single and not risk your heart or to take a leap of faith and trust that whatever comes was meant to be.