EU SANCTIONS ON 'SERBIA'

EU is thinking of posing sanctions on Serbia when it failed to deliver the butcher of Balkans Ratko Mladic after the deadline on Sunday…Serbia is still acting a bully…Not only grabbing the Albanian Kosovo but also allowing the Genoicidal Generals of 90’s to roam around freely…

==============================================

THE HAGUE, May 3 (Reuters) - U.N. war crimes prosecutor Carla del Ponte said on Wednesday that Serbia had misled her when it promised that top fugitive Ratko Mladic would be handed over soon and suggested sanctions should be considered.

“The obvious conclusion is that I have been misled when I was told at the end of March that the arrest of Mladic was a matter of days or weeks,” Del Ponte told a news conference.

Del Ponte said she had received reports that Belgrade could have arrested Mladic at the end of January but declined to do so because the government wanted him to surrender voluntarily.

Mladic is indicted with Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic for genocide over the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of 8,000 Muslims and the siege of Sarajevo in which more than 11,000 people died.

Del Ponte said her office will continue to do everything its mandate allows to bring Mladic to justice.

However, without the cooperation of Serbia and Montenegro no result can be expected, she said, adding that she is due to report to the U.N. Security Council next month.

“I will inform the Security Council on this highly unsatisfactory situation in June,” she said.

“They will decide how to react … they can take a new resolution or even sanctions.”

Del Ponte has said the death of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic in March before a verdict in his war crimes trial has made arresting Mladic all the more urgent.

Mladic has been on the run since 2001 when Milosevic, his protector, was sent to the Hague.

The EU agreed last October to open talks with Belgrade on the road towards membership, rewarding Serbia for delivering a dozen lesser war crimes fugitives to the Hague. Earlier on Wednesday, it said it was suspended talks over Mladic.

Re: EU SANCTIONS ON 'SERBIA'


A new resolution is very likely, "sanctions" are very unlikely... lets wait and watch what happens in few days/weeks/months/years.

Re: EU SANCTIONS ON ‘SERBIA’

^It doesn’t look that simple…see:

BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro - The European Union on Wednesday suspended aid and trade talks with Serbia over its failure to arrest war crimes fugitive Ratko Mladic, the ex-Bosnian Serb army commander indicted for genocide in Europe’s worst massacre since World War II. …

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060503/ap_on_re_eu/serbia_mladic

Serbia has to reply now…No wonder Montenegro is doing a referendum on its independence from Sebia-Montenegro union on 21st May…

Re: EU SANCTIONS ON 'SERBIA'

Too bad there won't be those juicy conpiracy theories by the Arab-lackeys.

This time, the West want to catch Serb butcher of innocent Muslims. And to catch one man, the West is willing to punish the whole country i.e. a Christian (and orthodox BTW) Serbia. Wow! No shouts of Crusade anymore. Seems like the Arab-lackeys and that pipsqueak called Ahmadenejad have very selective memories.

Re: EU SANCTIONS ON 'SERBIA'

antiobl:WARNING! Stop digressing every single thread now!

Re: EU SANCTIONS ON ‘SERBIA’

Posters praising Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic in Belgrade …If this is the mentality in Serbia against war crime “heros”…How can they ever hand them over ??

BELGRADE, April 10 (Reuters) - Posters of war crimes fugitive Ratko Mladic appeared in central Belgrade on Monday as a gesture of support by a fringe ultranationalist group that opposes the government’s pledge to hand him over to The Hague.

The black-and-white posters show Mladic saluting in uniform, the word “Serb” stamped across his image.

They were signed by the Obraz Fatherland Movement, whose principles are described on their Web site as “Serbian Serbia”, “cherishing God and Fatherland” and “knightly armed forces”.

The group said in a statement that the campaign was “an action of support” for the former Bosnian Serb general, indicted for genocide for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of 8,000 Muslims and the siege of Sarajevo which killed over 10,000 civilians.

It accused police and street cleaners of having unlawfully removed some posters, thus violating its freedom of expression.

This shows “that human rights in this long-suffering country are guaranteed for everyone but for the Serb men and women who are not ashamed of their national heroes”, said Obraz.

The group has become increasingly visible in the Serbian media after mounting similar ultranationalist campaigns that embarrass the government at a time when it is trying to convince the world that Serbia is genuinely West-leaning.

The U.N. war crimes court in The Hague says Mladic is hiding in Serbia, protected by hardliners. His handover is crucial to Serbia’s bid to join the European mainstream after the wars of the 1990s and eventually join the European Union.

Belgrade denies knowing his whereabouts or being in contact, but an aide of chief U.N. prosecutor Carla del Ponte said last week that Serbian Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica had promised her the fugitive would be handed over by the end of April.

The prospect of a new deadline sparked a new wave of rumours in the Serbian press, which periodically quotes sources saying Mladic is considering surrender or ready to die to avoid arrest.

Latest speculation include a handover on Catholic Good Friday or a date sometime between Serb Orthodox Easter on April 23 and May 1.