Coz He Was'nt a Hindu?

Last Updated: Thursday, 2 December, 2004, 02:57 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Forgotten hero of Bhopal’s tragedy
By Faisal Mohammad Ali
BBC Hindi service, in Bhopal

Mr Dastagir’s actions may have saved hundreds of lives
Twenty years after the toxic gas leak at Bhopal in central India, BBC News reports on how casualties could have been much worse.

The daily express had been seen off from Bhopal and deputy station superintendent Ghulam Dastagir took charge of the night shift.

He settled down to a routine evening’s work. It was 3 December, 1984.

Paperwork kept Mr Dastagir tied to his office until 0100 when he emerged to check the train running from Mumbai (Bombay) to Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.

As he stepped on to the platform, he felt an itch in his throat and a burning sensation in his eyes.

Toxic fumes leaking from the nearby Union Carbide factory were settling on the railway station.

Nearly 3,000 people died on the night of the disaster. There have been at least 15,000 related deaths since, according to official estimates.

Full responsibility

Mr Dastagir did not fully fathom the situation but years of training on the busy railways told him something was clearly wrong.

Moving quickly, he summoned his staff and told them to clear the Gorakhpur train for departure.

People were throwing up, some were down with diarrhoea… Many were choking

Manzoor Ahmed Khan

Victims exercise ‘sacred’ vote
On this day: Bhopal 1984

It was filling with Bhopal passengers already fleeing the fumes.

The scheduled departure of the train was still 20 minutes away and he was advised to check with his superiors.

But Mr Dastagir said he could not risk even a minute’s delay

He said he would take full responsibility for the early departure. His action may have saved hundreds of lives.

Manzoor Ahmed Khan - Mr Dastagir’s colleague - says the station officer’s next task was to ensure that no other train came into the station.

Even though thousands of people were descending on the station desperate to leave the city, passengers on incoming trains would be contaminated.

Mr Dastagir rushed to the control room and alerted senior railway officers. They immediately suspended services.

Instead of an escape route the station became a scene of “misery and death all around”, says Mr Khan.

“No other mode of transport was available,” he says.

“There was no bus, taxi or rickshaw. Panic-stricken people were coming in hordes to the railway station.”

SOS call

Mr Khan had never seen such a scene.

“People were throwing up, some were down with diarrhoea, relieving themselves wherever they could. Many were choking,” Mr Khan says.

The station plaque - minus Mr Dastagir

He says he reached the station with his elderly parents, wife, sons and daughters around three in the morning.

They “just wanted to go anywhere out of the city”.

He says he saw Mr Dastagir running from one platform to another, attending and consoling victims.

Mr Dastagir sent an SOS to all the nearby stations. Four ambulances arrived with paramedics and railway doctors soon joined them.

The station resembled the emergency room of a large hospital.

The burning and itching Mr Dastagir had felt became worse, but he ignored it.

He also had no time to think of his own family - his wife and four sons - who were living in the old city which was severely exposed to the gas.

“I knew him always being like that,” says Fehmida, his wife.

“Once there was an accident and he didn’t come home for three days,” she said.

‘Unrecognised’

Ghulam Dastagir died a year ago.

His last 19 years were spent mostly in hospitals. He developed a painful growth in the throat due to exposure to toxic fumes.

One of his sons died soon after the fumes were released. Another suffers a severe skin infection.

Mr Dastagir’s wife says his actions have gone unrecognised. The railways did not reward him for his sense of duty and commitment to helping suffering victims, she says.

The railways installed a plaque in memory of those who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty on the fateful night of 3 December, 1984. Ghulam Dastagir is not on the list.

i doubt that he helped people expecting a reward. most of the victims of the tragedy werent compensated even decades later. show some respect to the man - quit being such a cheap sob by trying to communalize the issue.

U MFB,just read the following and search into BBC archives to know that BJP ignored Bhopal victims coz 45% were Muslims.

The Hindu chauvinist BJP, which won office in Madhya Pradesh in 1990, was critical of Congress’s record following the disaster. But having assumed power, the state government persecuted the victims, many of whom were impoverished Muslims. In the name of “City Beautification”, it diverted some of the meagre funds meant to assist the victims into a program to evict them from their “illegal” slums and renovate the areas by redecorating parks, installing new lights and rehabilitating monuments.

(WSWS : News & Analysis : Asia : India

By Priyadarshana Maddewatte)

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Iconoclast: *
U MFB,just read the following and search into BBC archives to know that BJP ignored Bhopal victims coz 45% were Muslims.

The Hindu chauvinist BJP, which won office in Madhya Pradesh in 1990, was critical of Congress’s record following the disaster. But having assumed power, the state government persecuted the victims, many of whom were impoverished Muslims. In the name of “City Beautification”, it diverted some of the meagre funds meant to assist the victims into a program to evict them from their “illegal” slums and renovate the areas by redecorating parks, installing new lights and rehabilitating monuments.

(WSWS : News & Analysis : Asia : India

By Priyadarshana Maddewatte)
[/QUOTE]

Stop giving this a communcal color.Do you know when Bhopal Tragedy happened and who was in power from that time till 1990. It has nothing to do with religion.Whatever happened is because of the quality of politicans that we have and they are equal-opportunity non performers.They dont descriminate.

Grow up !!!

another event where it is shown how much the western corporations view cheap third world lives as. so many dead and no criminal charges against the CEOs...pathetic

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Iconoclast: *
U MFB,just read the following and search into BBC archives to know that BJP ignored Bhopal victims coz 45% were Muslims.

The Hindu chauvinist BJP, which won office in Madhya Pradesh in 1990, was critical of Congress’s record following the disaster. But having assumed power, the state government persecuted the victims, many of whom were impoverished Muslims. In the name of “City Beautification”, it diverted some of the meagre funds meant to assist the victims into a program to evict them from their “illegal” slums and renovate the areas by redecorating parks, installing new lights and rehabilitating monuments.

(WSWS : News & Analysis : Asia : India

By Priyadarshana Maddewatte)
[/QUOTE]

Do you even know when the accident happened? What a joke. BJP government ignored victims coz they were muslims my ass! BJP didnt come to power for a good six years after the tragedy! pathetic sh*t stirrer...

MFBs would like to read this:
Bhopal Survivors Protest Indian Government's Moves to Bury Bhopal Disaster

Source: National Campaign for Justice in Bhopal
Posted: June 26, 2002

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEW DELHI, 26 JUNE 2002 -- More than 80 survivors of the
Bhopal disaster set up camp in New Delhi today to launch
their indefinite agitation against recent moves by the
Government of India aimed at burying the saga of the
1984 Union Carbide disaster without resolving any of
the pending issues facing the survivors of the chemical
disaster. The disaster, caused by a poisonous gas leak
from Union Carbide's pesticide factory in Bhopal, has
killed more than 20,000 people to date. At least
150,000 gas-affected people continue to suffer serious
health effects in the absence of medical rehabilitation.

On May 24, 2002, the Central Bureau of Investigation filed
an application in the Chief Judicial Magistrate's court
in Bhopal asking for dilution of charges against Warren
Anderson from homicide to criminal negligence. Anderson
-- the CEO of Union Carbide at the time of the gas disaster
-- was made prime accused in a criminal case after the CBI
was able to make a case that the disaster occurred as a
result of conscious decisions taken by the CEO and the
company to cut costs by compromising on safety and alarm
systems at the Indian plant.

By recommending that charges against Anderson be diluted
from homicide to negligence, the CBI is treating the
world's worst industrial disaster at par with a case
of rash driving, said Satinath Sarangi of the Bhopal
Group for Information and Action. More disturbingly,
the dilution of charges essentially means Anderson and
Union Carbide will have to be left off the hook for
their Bhopal crimes because the new charges do not
constitute extraditable crimes under the Indo-US
extradition treaty. Anderson, who has never presented
himself to the Bhopal court, has been declared as
absconding from justice by the Magistrate's court
in April 1992.

"The Government seems keen to bury the Bhopal disaster
because it fears that any attempts to pursue Union
Carbide's liabilities for its crimes against the people
of Bhopal will dampen interests among multinationals to
invest in India. A leaked memo of the Government of
India says as much," according to the National Campaign
for Justice in India.

**On June 7, the Group of (Union) Ministers on Bhopal,led by the Finance Minister under the auspices of Ministry
of Chemicals, decided that the Rs. 13.6 billion, which
is the balance of settlement funds deposited by Union
Carbide, should be distributed to residents of 20 municipal
wards in Bhopal in addition to 36 declared wards and used
for the rehabilitation of contaminated lands. Ironically,
the 20 wards set to receive the funds if the Government
succeeds in pushing its decision through are primarily
Hindu wards whose residents are rich people who were
not affected by the gas leak. In fact, the Indian Council
for Medical Research drew its control (unexposed)
sample from among the residents of these wards as
a control population to compare the effects of the
poisonous gas.

"Extending compensation benefits to wards that were
not even impacted by the gas leak is purely a political
move designed by the BJP to buy the Hindu votes in
that ward," said Rasheeda Bee of Bhopal Gas Peedit
Mahila Stationery Karmachari Sanghatan. "This vulgar
sell-out by the Government of India is illegal and
unpardonable," she said
**

so from which news source is the above clipping from?

quit flooding with irrelevent cut and pastes. you had your try and goofed up bad. now go bomb a shia mosque or two.

Iconolast , just looking up on net doesnt make it pundit of this subject. Stop spreading this bs, you werent there when it happened.
i dont know if you were born even then.
Stop googling and write someting meaningful.

There are consistent reports in media including BBC showing BJP denied many victims their compensation coz they were Muslims.
Now if u do not have anything to prove it wrong ...just shut up